Author Topic: Sex and depression....  (Read 3540 times)

Welshcowboy

Sex and depression....
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Ok, so my first real post on the forum and maybe not best titled, BUT, anybody else find that when in a depressive state sex seems more appealing?

I could be in my usual lock ones self away mood and as much as I want the world to go away I'm finding my sexual appetite increasing at alarming rates, ive always had a high sex drive but that went for a short period of time, but since I've been on Prozac I'm like a dog on heat!

Perhaps it's a sub-conscious thought? Maybe it isn't sex I want, but that's not what my mind is saying?!?!?
Could it just be a need to be close to somebody?

Any thoughts?

Catbrian

Re: Sex and depression....
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
Well!!... I had better get myself some Prozac!!!  All joking aside, depression and medications can affect people differently.  To be honest, usually people complain of the opposite.  What I do know of Prozac (and that's very little), some people report side effects as being a little buzzy, almost stimulant effect.  My own experience many years ago was almost like loosing my mind with racing thoughts and hyperactivity and racing heart.  If you ordinarily have a high sex drive, then it is highly possible that Prozac is accentuating that.

Welshcowboy

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »
Like I said in my post I think it could just be a thing of wanting to be needed and maybe blocking out what I really need to be thinking about :/
I don't know.

It's not something I'm feeling 24/7 just when I feel low and lock myself away.

I don't think my meds are working as they should but I've felt so up and down for years I don't know what the right feeling is anymore.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »
I have never been in Prozac, but I find that when depressed its the last thing I want. I just want to be on my own and shut myself away.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

mar42

• Karma Group
  • Thank the lord for shades :)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »
It could also be taking your mind off of depression? some people use denial,alcohol,drugs,work,gambling or me personally when i feel to overwhelmed i become physically ill,now this could be my depression or my not wanting to face emotional stuff,i still don't really know. I have always used masturbation as a short term buzz,while facing anxious times. I also definitely agree with you though,it could just be you needing to be close with someone.

captainkeefy

• Karma Group
  • What's that?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
Okay, first off would you say that you are interested in just a sexual encounter with someone else or would you say you would be more interested in a romantic relationship with someone? Are you currently single?

Affectus, qui passio est, desinit esse passio simulatque eius claram et distinctam formamus ideam.

Emotion, which is suffering, ceases to be suffering as soon as we form a clear and precise picture of it.

Catbrian

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »
I think Mar may have a point, it could simply be taking your mind off the depression and of feeling so desolate.  Depression is a very lonely illness.  But, it's worth exploring where it all comes from