Author Topic: amitriptyline  (Read 3553 times)

zeemiller

• Karma Group
  • keep it simple
amitriptyline
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
does anyone on here take amitriptyline ?????????????? is it useful in comparison to other medications??????????

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: amitriptyline
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
All I know its one of the older type of anti-depressants.   I have taken it for my back problem at a low dose to help with pain.  As with alot of medications they can be used for different conditions.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

sweetpotato

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:21:41 AM »
Hi, I take it but for nerve damage done during surgery. It works great for me but not sure how it would work at higher doses.

PMD1911

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
Hi Zeemiller,

I was on amitriptyline for about 7 weeks. It is an older antidepressant and can be quite effective. The side effects however can be worse than some newer antidepressants but usually ware of fairly quickly. It is very dangerous if an over dose is taken. This is why I was taken off it!

In the 7 weeks I was on it I found it fairly effective. I am now on venalfaxine 375mg which is the best of the 5 antidepressants my psychiatrist has tried me on! So if amitriptyline doesn't work out, ask to try venalfaxine.

Hope this helps.

Ezel

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
I have been taking it for several months for back pain which it did help with for a while but now I'm taking co-codamol as well in conjunction with amitriptyline but to no effect.   I know Amitriptyline is used for depression but it has no effect on making that better either.

justme

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:07:10 PM »
Hi, I've been taking 75mg per day for about three years and it has kept me pretty level! But I'm struggling with awful anxiety and know I'm slipping into a dark down phase so am going back to my GP to see what he says, but I can honestly say that the amitriptyline has worked for me! But I guess like anything you can build up a resistance and I feel that's what's happening with me. It's different strokes for different folks. Hope this has been a bit helpful? X
Justme

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »
my Lady Lynne was on amy's (50mg) anti D's also to help sleep
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

iggyelvis

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 12:06:06 AM »