Author Topic: What I have learnt  (Read 5528 times)

wallflower

• Karma Group
What I have learnt
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
I was unfortunately diagnosed with depression January this year and have still not fully recovered having been on and off meds and going through counselling etc. I am studying to be an Occupational Therapist (had to take temporary leave)... wondered if anyone has seen one and their experiences? When I finish my course (March 2013)... it used to be an IF I finished my course but I have to work towards something so I am trying to think positively... I have SO much to take forward into my therapy. Having had a mental illness and been through depression (again I am looking to the future with the hope of getting through this depression or at least managing to cope with it) I have SUCH a better understanding of all the debilitating features of depression and how utterly lonely and hopeless one can feel. I did a placement 2 years ago in an acute mental hospital and was thinking about it today, how different my perspective is. Don't get me wrong I really felt for all the patients but at the same time didn't understand fully. I can now say I totally can relate and I want to help people eventually. My support system has been really &$%+ (excuse the french) and I am effectively having to 'treat' myself and remind myself everything I have learnt, applying it to myself is a very different story though and it is tough!

Anyway, sorry for the ramble but I thought I would share. I have to take something positive away from this year of hell..

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: What I have learnt
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
I had several encounters with OTs when my dad was dying, some were good, some were useless  :-\

Z xxx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
I was really wary when I first started seeing Occupational Health, but she has been really good. Sometimes I need to stand my ground and state what I want, it's not always easy.

I can't always talk when I am really low as my thoughts are so disjointed and even seems to affect my speech. OH provide me with an email address to mail them how I'm feeling instead of talking.

She is good at pestering me with phone calls if I disappear for a while lol.  

I think the main thing is I feel she is on my side and not my works which was my biggest concern.
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

Catbrian

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
Wallflower, I've just read this post and hope things have improved for you

Leo, I totally relate to having to stand your ground and state what you want.  I've often found some Health Professionals are very keen on telling us what's best for us to do.  Ever since I "came out" about my depression, I feel some people are of the impression that MH problems must mean I'm a bit stupid

iggyelvis

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:02 AM »
hi i don't know how to start a new post but my art has helped