Author Topic: Which AD's should I try and request with already having low libido?  (Read 3408 times)

chrishell76

At drs in morning, so just wondered what the best tabs to take to not try and wreck my already low libido?  Although thinking about it, maybe just being on Ad's may be enough to increase it, if its what I am thinking and that's the reason it's low.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Which AD's should I try and request with already having low libido?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »
Hopefully you will get replies that will be helpful .... I'm not on any anti depressants atm so can't comment on those that may affect libido.

chrishell76

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
Thanks and just to confirm I am a 36yo male.

chrishell76

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
Well been to docs and he has put me on 75mg Venlafaxine.  I did make him aware that I was already low in the libido area and didn't want to potentially kill it off completely, to which he suggested these.  Will see how I get on.

Catbrian

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »
Everyone reacts differently as far as libido and any sex dysfunction.  If you've been depressed, it's a good move to try some of the antidepressants.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.  There's a wealth of knowledge on this Forum, if you feel you need to talk anything over.

vwone

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »
Hi, I was worried about this but that only makes it worse my Dr always tells me not to read the side effects he knows it will just make me more anxious. I am on Citralopram which effects 60% of people I thought it was an issue at first but I have know been on them for three weeks and the improvement in general mode helps with this.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
Chrishell, venlafaxin's never affected my libido ;)

chrishell76

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
Thanks all for the advice :)

But, I am wondering if to come off Venaflaxine or not, as I am still getting more wind than normal and it doesn't smell too clever.  Also worried about the stories of being hard to come off the stuff and also in relation to it making people crave alcohol, I am not exactly a big drinker, but do usually drink one night at the weekend.

Should I try another or am I being too cautious?

Catbrian

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
It's good to be cautious and aware of the down side of any drug you're using.  I think it would be beneficial to give the AD a chance to settle in your system.  I've never heard of these claims it makes people binge drink.  If it does, then I'm sure those people were binge drinkers anyway.

If you're seriously wanting to come of it, then it's best to talk this over with the GP

Good luck

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
Dont go on Fluoxetine. Dont reduce libido but make it really hard to reach orgasm. Even worse than not feeling like sex!

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »
According to some research I once read Moclobamide is the drug with the lowest incidence of sexual side effects. But it is a hassle to take. You have to avoid certain foodstuffs.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been