Author Topic: New to antidepressants, would like some help or advice.  (Read 5610 times)

Got

• Karma Group
Re: New to antidepressants, would like some help or advice.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:34:49 AM »
Do you know why you have been prescribed sertraline specifically?

Your parents seem to care about you. They are worried about what the medication will do to you. There is no need to worry, you should be fine. If the side affects are unpleasant and last too long, or the tablets have no positive effect, there are many more to choose from...different groups have different mechanisms of action.

Steve X

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 11:25:01 PM »
For me its been, 'why are you taking them', the whole lack of understanding....

Today was dificult... My arm went numb... A friend had to drive me home purely cause I was anxious about the whole thing... Went to the hospital, and they just told me to take it before bed... So I wil start that...

Also can I ask if anyones seeing a counsellor? Cause although I'm on a waiting list, I don't really want to see one.. Just for the fact that I want to piece myself back together.. And feel that speaking about my problems will just break me down again...

plumb

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »
I am not yet purely because im not ready. If your not ready a good councillor will not want to see you.

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 12:24:25 AM »
I do understand that... I want to be ready, I want to enjoy life..

@Stevie, its just what the doc prescribed.... I'm still fairly new to antidepressants... I just thought that there were many antidepressants because not everyone has the same reaction?

Stacey

• Karma Group
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
I am seeing a counsellor and have only had three sessions so far. I feel like you do, I hate going, I hate talking about myself and my life and every week I just sit and cry for an hour and the anxiety takes over.

I really don't like doing it but I think it has to get worse before it can get better and they need to ask about me to try and find the root of this.

mamalou

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I think it's good you have started the medication. And I think that your parents are really concerned about you. Sadly, mental illness is very difficult to understand. So this then affects all areas of treatment from medication to counscelling and further on to quite intense therapies. I'm wondering if your parents might benefit with looking at the MIND website ? Or maybe you could find some information about your medication and about depression in general to show them and try to start positive communication with them.

With regards to any therapy you may be offered, I would hold off making a decision not to do it until you have been on your meds for a few weeks. It may be that when you are slightly more stable in mood, you feel that therapy would be appropriate.

Sorry for waffling.

Mamalou   x x x

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
Thank you for your reply. Sadly the side effects of the medication made me give it up.. It made me confused at times, and that is something I can't have with my 3rd and final year of uni... I've considered taking something else, but I'm worried that I will get a similar effect... 

Councelling starts in 10days, I'm starting to think that would be more beneficial in terms of my accademic life...

Although I'm almost 100% sure that the meds would have worked, it just simply is not the right time for me to be taking something that will effect my capability...

Has anyone gone thru mod-severe depression without medication?

Catbrian

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »
It might be a good idea to stay off the meds until you can talk to your new therapist.  I'm sure he/she will help you make an informed choice.  If you're going back on them, consider a low dose of Citalopram, then increase after a few weeks, if you feel the need too.  From my experience, and many more on this Forum, it is probably the one with least side effects.  The trouble is, if you become too preoccupied with side effects, you might struggle to find one which will fit in with your studies.  People do deal with moderate to very severe forms of depression without the meds.  But, as I said, best put it to the back of your mind until you can discuss it with the Therapist.

Good luck.... everyone here will support you as much as possible.

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 07:34:23 PM »
Thank you for your advice. I have my first appointment with my therapist in a week. I just hope it helps