Author Topic: The Bible-feeling emotionless?  (Read 7949 times)

CatAndMouse

• Karma Group
The Bible-feeling emotionless?
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
*Sorry if this is not in the right place, but it seems im not able to access the religious topic while logged in? (maybe my age) but i just have a question for christians. i am not here to judge or force my beliefs on others, so please be respectful and everything  =+-

God always mentions about love and things in the Bible, but i was wondering if anyone knows whether it mentions anything about losing emotions? or not feeling anything?or like how to start to feel emotional again?
any answer which you may feel helps, please go for it :)

Thank you  $%$

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: The Bible-feeling emotionless?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Thats strange but I'm sure its OK :)

I'm not Christian but I know depression does make us lose our emotions and we lose pleasure in things that we would normally do.

The way that helps me is to go out into nature and admire the wonder of it, try to absorb its energy and beauty

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

CharleysAngel'

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »
I found these, not sure if its exactly what you are looking for but the closest references I could find to your question.

Proverbs 14:30 A sound heart is life to the body, But envy is rottenness to the bones.

2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.

I'm not sure if you will find much about feeling emotionless in the bible, mental illness wasn't common at the time and was seen as a very bad thing.
Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough I don't know why;'
Lana Del Rey

Ezel

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:53:04 PM »
*Sorry if this is not in the right place, but it seems im not able to access the religious topic while logged in? (maybe my age) but i just have a question for christians. i am not here to judge or force my beliefs on others, so please be respectful and everything  =+-

I thought I was finally completely cracking up "!+ as I couldn't find the board.  Anyway I have been into ADMIN and dealt with the settings so if you still have problems getting onto this board let me know and I will sort the problem out.

I'm finding it a struggle to find quotes from the bible but have also found some quotes that got me thinking.

Isaiah 41:10
“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (NIV)

John 14:1 “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.” (KJV)

Psalms 46:1
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” (KJV)

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
Sorry, but I am not intending to upset anyone's particular beliefs.  I would find it hard to take comfort from a book that also proclaims naughty children should be stoned to death, adulterating women also, disbelievers as well.  Infact terrible genocides are committed and the Abrahamic god is a somewhat vile character.

He will love you but you have to love him...or else!

CatAndMouse

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
Sorry, but I am not intending to upset anyone's particular beliefs.  I would find it hard to take comfort from a book that also proclaims naughty children should be stoned to death, adulterating women also, disbelievers as well.  Infact terrible genocides are committed and the Abrahamic god is a somewhat vile character.

dont worry i understand where you got that from. but for me, as a christain, the Bible is a book which only contains the Word of God. it wasnt himself that did horrible stuff to people, it was the believers who misinterpreted what he said. It says that God loves everyone and made everyone, so he wouldnt do that even if you didnt believe that? Please try and stay on topic  =+-

^^thank you for the helpful replies, will definatley take on board alot of those :) thank you :D

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »
Most holy books are interpretations of followers written sometimes hundreds of years ofter the event, not just the Abrahamic religions but probably all religions that have holy texts.

Sadly even today there is violence carried out in the name of religion but usually one religion against another :(

Z xx

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »

dont worry i understand where you got that from. but for me, as a christain, the Bible is a book which only contains the Word of God. it wasnt himself that did horrible stuff to people, it was the believers who misinterpreted what he said. It says that God loves everyone and made everyone, so he wouldnt do that even if you didnt believe that? Please try and stay on topic  =+-

^^thank you for the helpful replies, will definatley take on board alot of those :) thank you :D

You can make anything out of imaginary plasticine, and it will always look wonderful!

As an antithesis to what you believe, I find the version of how we are made from stardust after coming from an abstract void quite beautiful.  But I won't say anymore!

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
It definitely is a beautiful version Beet ans one I tend to go with, my faith believes that 'god' (for want of a better word) is that creation - as opposed to the someone or something that created it.

Thats the best way I can explain it, rather like taoism we believe if you can name it or fully understand it you havent named or understood what it really is

mamalou

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
Cat and Mouse,

I too am a Christian and struggle greatly with dissociation, i.e. not feeling anything and not accessing life.

I know that God loves me but I struggle to reach the depth of relationship with him that I used to have prior to my illness becoming extremely severe.

I agree that the Bible is the word of God but I have to be honest and say that at the moment I struggle to access it.

Sorry if this is totally missing the point ?!?!

x x x

Ezel

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
Mamalou, I walked away from my faith for 23 years because of stuff going on in my life.  I blamed everybody, my parents, God , myself, I could not pick up a bible let only read any of it.  Sorry it's difficult to explain but even when I did read anything the words didn't mean anything.  I still get days like that but what helps me is knowing I was able to forgive my parents for the way they hurt me.  Christians told me God had already forgiven them but I needed to forgive them for my own sanity.