Author Topic: Documentary  (Read 7894 times)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Documentary
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
Did any one see it last night?  I found it interesting but thought it neglected to discuss the intrusive thoughts and ruminations that many people suffer.
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Documentary
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
Yep I watched it. I can recognise many of the things they were talking about in myself. I am not severe but I do have certain OCD traits. I found it very interesting. So awful for the people who suffer so severely. S x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
I certainly do too, it must be terrible when it starts to take over your life :(

Z xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
I agree it was so hard for them. S x x x x

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
Its good these things are being brought out into the open but I'd have liked to ave seen a bit more about the mental anguish rather than mostbof the focus on rituals etc

Z xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 05:45:02 PM »
I agree Zaf. I do not have rituals. But get agitated when I haven't done things. Also things have to be straight and match etc. S x x x x

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:00:29 AM »
Many famous people have spoken out about depression and bipolar, but how many people have you heard tell the world that they obsessively look at children because they are testing to see if they are paedophiles, and when they do so their bodies respond in a sexual way? This may sound shocking but it is very common.

Fortunately my OCD doesn't manifest itself in this way but it is very, very obscure nevertheless. As a child much of my time was taken up performing compulsions. It has had a very heavy impact on my life.

Many people identify with OCD and suspect they have it but they often just score highly for neurotisicm. Being neurotic is within the normal range of psychology - this includes obsessions and anxiety - but it does not mean that they have obsessive compulsive disorder.....

.....but...... I encourage anyone who genuinely spends much other their days engaged in compulsions, avoidance, fear and obsession, to seek appropriate help, which will be in the form of CBT designed specifically OCD. The sooner you face it the better. If anyone is genuinely concerned they have OCD I am happy to offer advice on how to access appropriate treatment and what it will involve.

Steve XXX
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:20:54 AM by Stevie »

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »
Thanks Steve, the documentary did show one young man who's OCD started when he was very young, I believe its the first of a series so they may tackle more of the issues later

Z xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »
Just started watching OCD hoarders. Its heartbreaking. The poor man. I really feel for him. Will watch the rest later. S x x

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 03:43:42 PM »
I watched that when I got home from the hospital, I really felt for him too.

Z xx

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:56 AM »
Thanks Steve, the documentary did show one young man who's OCD started when he was very young, I believe its the first of a series so they may tackle more of the issues later

Z xx

My OCD started at age 3-4, which is rare. I can remember the first moment it started, I looked at a draw handle and I had the urge to touch it, and from there onwards I performed compulsions. I remember that I used to walk up and down the stairs repeatedly, I would get changed into my school clothes over and over again. When I went to bed at night it took me about 2 hours because I had to keep getting out of bed to perform rituals. At school I had to write and rewrite all my work, and as a result my grades were reduced.

Every time I performed a compulsion I had to do it in an even number of times...but it is more complicated than that, I had to think pure thoughts when performing the compulsion, if I didn't, the compulsions needed to be repeated the correct number of times..... If I did a compulsion, I would do it 2 times, if I needed to do it again, I had to do it another 2 times (2x2=4 times), if I had to do it again I had to do it another 4 times (4X4=8) and if I had to do it again I had to do it another 8 times (8x8=16). Imagine putting on and talking of your trousers 16 times whilst trying to think 'pure thoughts'. Imagine running up and down the stairs 16 times.

To make things worse I was punished daily for this behaviour. I was shouted at, told I wasn't normal, was told I needed locking away. The result has been mentally devastating for me, and by my mid teens I was a volatile person. I argued intensely with my parents, and my aggression increased the older I got. I have many times smashed my house, more times that I care to remember. I am now a very calm person, but my childhood stripped me of confidence and self esteem, and I don't think I will ever be happy because I feel like I am not good enough for the world that I live in.

Even today I suffer terribly with OCD, I cannot begin to put it into words what it is like to think of one thing almost every waking hour of the day for over a year. I wish I could live OCD free, but I never will.

Steve X

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:21:52 AM by Stevie »