Author Topic: Social anxiety  (Read 10457 times)

splimwad

• Hypnotherapy in Warrington
Re: Social anxiety
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »
One trick I learned, similar to another poster, is to look at the bridge of someones nose as you speak to them.
They have no idea that you are doing it and it is closer to their eyes but without actually looking into their eyes.
Ask yourself the question "if I did look into their eyes... what would that mean? What would be so bad about that?"
Once we start to realise the reasons behind why we avoid something, we can begin to work on them.
I used be terrified at getting up and talking to people in a group, I even used avoidance (phone in sick etc).
However, when I looked into it, it was about what other people thought about me and how they may judge me. I too was a painfully shy child.
But I learned that people are entitled to their opinions, I couldn't mind read so I couldn't know what they were thinking anyway. I realsised that it wasn't them that was the problem, it was the way I thought about them that was the problem.
Once I worked on this all became fine and I can talk to anyone now and often give presentations to large groups.
Cognitive Behavioral therapy is very good at altering your thoughts and beliefs. If you can't afford to see a therapist I would recommend a self help book written in the CBT style.
It will help you address your thoughts and beliefs about the situation which causes you distress.
I wish you all the best of luck... If I can change, then anyone can!

Regards
Chris

joethfc

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
I do. It's probably the thing I'd most like to change about myself. It holds me back so much and it seems less rational than other anxieties (moral, existential, etc). Every social occasion seems like an energy-drain. _-+

I deeply sympathise. ^%$
"It's only life."

behasty

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 09:22:48 AM »
Hi,
I have suffered from depression for a long time and after recovering I have made a very wide research on the topic covering shyness and social anxiety I think we can help omite it one day this ebook is very good and I read it myself and it was very usefull to me I advice anyone suffering from the topic to have ago with this book and you will never regret it,here is the link for the ebook  http://8d2827r4onyl5xdzkho5xq0z6r.hop.clickbank.net/

darkangel1979

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
I think i have this-i hate large groups of ppl, am not very assertive, avoid eye contact, hate talking on the phone and would much rather not have to deal with people (i also need to drink if im meeting a large group of ppl i do not know.)

im far from the stereotypical loud, shouty chef...

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Without a doubt  , eye contact, talking with others, phone conversations, passing people in he street and saying hello,   One of the worst for me is when I am at work  when I cannot talk to others.  They just think I am in a bad mood,     Just wish there was an instant cure  :P.  well maybe someday ;)
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »
I don't have a problem with eye contact as I am partially deaf so tend to look at people when they talk to me.  On the other hand I am shy so hate gatherings such as parties, weddings and so.  Add having hearing makes it worse as people tend to congregate in small circles so there will be several conversations going on which makes all the voices sound like a babble.  I usually sit quietly on my own unless someone talks to me.

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
Family Gatherings are murder for me, I always find an excuse so that I don't need to go Or ill show up for 30 mins show my face then disappear
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY