Author Topic: Serotonin Theory of Depression  (Read 11456 times)

Got

• Karma Group
Re: Serotonin Theory of Depression
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »
This post adds weight to my theory that medication cannot cure my depression. I have multiple reasons to be depressed as far as I am concerned and medication wont touch them. I dont accept the past, and dont accpet the present and I dont accept the future. I am incapable, with drugs or without.

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Just wondering if you could recommend any other research articles ( links)

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
Certainly can. Try this one. It takes a totally different approach to neurogenesis and neurotransmitter theories of depression . Its all about Circadian hypotheses of depression though there is a fair amount at the start about circadian rhythms in general. I've always thought early morning wakening and 24 hour variations in mood suggested the biological clock was involved in some way.See what you think.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2612129/
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
Thank you, will have a read

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
If you want an introduction to the whole field, causes and treatment,drugs and otherwise.This book is £16.20. I bought the first edition back in the 70's. It has taken 40 odd years to produce the second edition.

Depression: Causes and Treatment Aaron T. Beck and  Brad A. Alford

Also good is:   

Depression: Theories and Treatments - Psychological, Biological and Social Perspectives by Arthur Schwartz

It is ridiculously expensive new but Amazon lists second hand copies for a few pounds.
Lately it occurs to me

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 04:55:40 PM »
Buttercup
Knowing I was at less than my best I emailed a friend for suggestions for you. She wasn't all that much help, her approach was-what do I know that you don't. She did however recommend one book very highly. I have already bought a copy and it is in my pile of books to be read if my reading ability ever returns.It looks interesting from my browsing through it. It operates on a completely different level of analysis from anything I have recommended- the social. It is

Understanding Depression: Feminist Social Constructionist Approaches by Janet Stoppard

The incidence of depression in women is far higher than that in men, which makes it of feminist interest. Hope you find time to read it.
Lately it occurs to me

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
Thank you Steve, I will have a look on Amazon.  :)