Author Topic: Venlafaxine  (Read 5258 times)

Raven

Venlafaxine
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
I'm currently on 225mg of Venlafaxine. I've never spoken to anyone else who takes this drug and I was wondering about other people's experiences with it. I would be really greatful if anyone had time to share. Thank you.

SteveW

• Karma Group
Re: Venlafaxine
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:41 PM »
I'm also on Venlafaxine 225 mg along with Mirtazepine 45 mg. Been on it about 8 weeks. I've been lucky with side effects-just a little nausea during the first few days. I count myself quite lucky as side effects are pretty common with Venlafaxine. 30% of people get a headache, 20% get nausea,12% get excessive sweating,10% get a dry mouth. As regards effectiveness it hasn't shifted my depression yet but I have very difficult to shift depressions. I'm going to increase the dose soon and hope for the best
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »
A couple of things I should have mentioned. Venlafaxine hasn't been the easiest anti-depressant I have taken. It can cause sudden quite dramatic increases in blood pressure. For this reason my GP has insisted on measuring my blood pressure before I started and a few days after every dose increase. It can also raise cholesterol and unfortunately mine is only just over the line into normal. She has also insisted on a cholesterol test before I started and every 4 weeks subsequently. I feel like I've been backwards and forwards to the surgery like a yo-yo
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Holykimura

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 09:58:28 AM »
I'm on 300 mg split into two doses, I have experienced excessive sweating, and strange dreams.

danbob

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »
i was on venlafaxine.... to cut a long story short, i absolutely hated it.... its a horrible drug, im just glad im off it now

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »
I'm of the same opinion as Danbob I'm afraid.... currently coming off of it (very slowly due to the withdwaral effects) and I cannot wait for it to be out of my system! x
This too shall pass.

woozywoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »
I am on 225mg of venlefaxine.

I am sure sure what side effects i have, been on it for a few years now, so much so, i am unsure of itsa effectiveness anymore.

I have headaches, feel sick, no sex drive and get tired...but whose to say that is becasue of the medication, depression or just me....

Tatty

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »
Hi

I was on venlaflaxine for over 18months. It seemed to work initially - I had to have it with food though otherwise I felt very ill. After I seemed to plateau on it my then doctor starting increasing the dose I think I got to 300mg. I then started to sweat buckets in bed at night, I mean I was drenched and was having to change the sheets all the time which didn't help the depression as it was soul destroying. I got embroiled in a very destructive relationship at that point too and started to forget to take it. The side effects were horrible, my head felt like that Placebo poster that was around a few years ago everything was fuzzy and splintered. !"!

I'm off it now and on something else Sertraline? It's supposed to be similar to Venlaflaxine but not so many side effects. Still trialling it so watch this space.  :-\

lampy

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:03:26 AM »
I was on venlafaxine about 16 years ago when I was hospitalised for depression, everybody was on it in there at the time and I hated it. I actually felt like it made me worse, I had the headaches, no sex drive at all, sweating unbelievably, dry mouth and dizziness and I was like it for about 8 months until I was taken off it.

Lola82

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
Hi im on this medication at the moment, i have been on it around 3 months. i dont have many side effects but it has decreased my sex drive. and i alsohave really strange dreams on it, however it suits me better than cipralax did.

how long have you been taking it?

Raven81

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
My other half has taken 375mg (I know this is over the maximum dose but its what he was prescribed) of this for 12 years now and although he experiences sweating and nightmares, otherwise he is fine with it.

I would urge you to give it a try for a while unless it is totally unbearable as side effects may settle down over time.