Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 6353 times)

Got

• Karma Group
Suicide
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15909277

Any news like this upsets me. Knowing how close I got to it, and now realising it is avoidable, this is nothing other than upsetting.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
Re: Suicide
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »
It's awful  :(

To know that someone - anyone - feels so isolated and like there is no hope in trying to beat this is terrible. I too have been there myself and it is possibly the scariest thing I have ever contimplated in my life. No-one should have to go through that.

x
This too shall pass.

r321148

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »
I agree. Really upsetting that he (or anyone else for that matter) felt he couldn't carry on any longer.
One other thing that has struck me is the ignorance of some people. The reaction...'he had nothing to be upset over', 'he seemed fine', 'he had money, success a wife and children' and even as far as just calling him selfish I think smacks of pure ignorance.
Depression is a strange one, I don't claim to be an expert and don't think anyone understands it entirely but these accusations just show that unfortunately many people know nothing of depression and refuse to accept what they can't understand. In this case the only person who will truly know what was going on in his head is unfortunately not around to ask and for anyone else to judge is unbelievably callous. I saw a post on facebook saying he was selfish to leave a wife and children. Having been in a situation where I thought the world would be better off without me and that in fact the selfish thing to do would be to keep on living, this post really struck me and it's this that people fail to understand. People try to apply logic to an illogical mindset and come to the only conclusions that appears to fit. Luckily I talked myself out of it and I had friends who pulled me back from the brink and helped me to identify my problem and get help, but some are not that lucky.
Obviously my thoughts are with his family at this awful time for them and I have nothing but sympathy for Gary Speed and I hope he has now found his peace.   

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:38:11 PM »
These people have absolutely no idea what it is to be depressed and to put on a brave face to the rest of the world,  I still firmly believe that only someone that has suffered from depression has any idea what its like despite all the training in the world that medics may have.

I rememember some years ago a mother killed herself and children in a car fairly locally,  comments at work were similar and one woman said something to the effect of 'she couldnt have been in her right mind' by that time I was getting really P'd off with the comments and told them in no uncertain terms that of course she wasnt in her right mind and that she should be given sympathy every bit as much as her family and children,  no-one could see my point of view o course.

Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
People try to apply logic to an illogical mindset and come to the only conclusions that appears to fit.

This is exactly it. When you are depressed, there is no logic or 'clear way' of thinking... its all or nothing thinking.
People don't commit suicide because they are selfish. They end it all because they don't want to inflict their pain onto others, or they feel they are becomming a burden. They make that choice because nothing makes sense any more, you can have everything anyone would ever dream about but if you can't make sense of what is going on in your own mind then it becaomes unbearable - you can never run from the turmoil thats going on inside your own head.

Either that, or people are simply uneducated and/or completley ignorant of the fact that this is a very real problem.
This too shall pass.

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:16 PM »
its really annoyed me the way this is being treated, especially with the way i am at the moment but people are ignorant and in some ways thats a good thing as the only way to understand this illness is to suffer from it and i would not wish it on anyone.  but if people could just understand even to a tiny extent it would make all of our lives easier.

i had a fairly big argument about gary speed today when some one called him, well im not going to repeat it but it was basically an idiot.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.