Author Topic: Vitamin B6 - pyridoxine hydrochloride - anyone tried it?  (Read 3536 times)

Jane

• Karma Group
Vitamin B6 - pyridoxine hydrochloride - anyone tried it?
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
Hi wondered if anyone has tried B6 and if you saw an improvement in symptoms or not?
I'm on it for a month to see if it helps. My GP bet me £50 it'd help so we'll see...

the BBC say:

What are the benefits of vitamin B6?

Vitamin B6, also known as pyridoxine hydrochloride, is essential for the breakdown of food by the body, and turning carbohydrates, proteins and fat into energy. It’s also needed for the production of neurotransmitters (chemical messengers in the nervous system) and proper functioning of the nervous system and the immune system. It’s also involved in the synthesis of hormones and red blood cells.

Vitamin B6 supplements are often taken for a variety of reasons, including to help:
•Fight stress
•Increase energy
•Manage symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome

B6 has also used in conjunction with magnesium to treat the behavioural problems of autism. However the use of supplements is a contentious area. Scientists argue that most people get adequate levels of B6 if they follow a good balanced diet, and there’s little evidence that vitamin B6 supplements can benefit different diseases.

Other sites link it to depression and reducing symptoms. I'm trying to remain hopeful but am doubtful.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Vitamin B6 - pyridoxine hydrochloride - anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
I do take vitamin B6 get mine from Simply Supplements, I also take anti-depressants.  So I am not sure if it helps but I take it anyway.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Jane

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
I'm lucky in Wales we get free prescriptions so my Dr is happy to give it to me at the moment. He wants to review it in 3 weeks. I'm getting used to popping pills now.. I've been bad before for remembering them.

From what I've read it's definately worth taking along with B12 and Vit D are all strongly linked to helping with depression symptoms.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
My dr now cannot prescribe a lot of things that we can buy, there is now a restricted prescribing list.  He apologises but he can't help that.

S x

Jane

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
Oh I didn't realise that, I'd better be ready to pick up the bill then if I'm on these longterm.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 10:33:21 PM »
Hopefully for you it is different in Wales.  I pay monthly for my prescriptions as its cheaper for me as I have several items each month.

S x

Jane

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
Thanks :) I'm in full time education for another 2 years (if I can keep my head together enough that is) so should be ok. I remember the prescription monthly fee available in England as we've only been here 4 years. My ex was asmatic so used to use that for his meds.