Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 1131 times)

Pudie

Another newbie
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
Hello. I have decided to join in the hope of gaining advice and support. I've been on Fluoxetine for 6 or 7 years. My 21 year old daughter also suffers from depression (she is still at home) and my 16 year old has OCD and dyslexia. My husband has dyslexia and a mother with a personality disorder - so we're all a bit mad. My mother was depressive and my aunt paranoid schizophrenic. I have had undiagnosed depressive bouts since my teens and suffered postnatally but had no treatment. I finally cracked when we lost our home due to financial disaster in our small business, went to bed for 2 weeks having started on fluoxetine - before getting up and fighting on. Now all these years later I find myself wanting to find out if I can cope without the drugs, as they make me so distant and apathetic and not myself - and I feel I owe it to myself and my daughters to wake up and take more control rather than drifting along. I always said I would never be the same after the breakdown - but I think part of that is now true because I'm still on medication. I did stop taking them just over a year after I started, but I couldn't cope. Now I want to try. I did attend a group therapy session the year before last - which helped me believe in my ability to change and cope. I have now cut down from 40mg to 20mg and am now taking 20mg every other day. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow morning - as I haven't spoken to her since I started cutting back. I've been a bit dizzy and irritable, and I'm scared about what I will be like without medication. So, that's where I'm at - I will post again soon.

Glen53

• Karma Group
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum

I hope the appointment goes well for you and I think you are doing the right thing by consulting the doc first. So many people would be tempted to just stop.

I can understand your reasons for wanting to stop the meds and it is possible that you may be able to reduce until you wean off them. I would warn you though that some people need to remain on antidepressants very long term in order to keep the illness in check. It may be that you could swap meds to something else that is easier to live with or even that you could cope without entirely, but be prepared for the possiblity that you may be one such person that needs long term treatment.

Either way, I hope that this forum can be a source of help and support for you - if only to have an outlet to vent on your tougher days. I have found it to be a godsend for me in my fight with depression and the members on here are fantasticly supportive.  :)
Crazy like a fish.

Pudie

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »
Thank you so much for your speedy response. I am so pleased I have joined.