Author Topic: Sertraline causing anxiousness?  (Read 3151 times)

PaulaJo

• Karma Group
Sertraline causing anxiousness?
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »
I have been on a 25mg dose of Sertraline (Zoloft) for 2 weeks, then 50mg dose for almost 4 weeks.
I had depression and anxiety attacks, and the depression has started to subside.
However, I have found that the anxiety is getting more constant, and I have had diarrhoea for the last 10 days.
The stomach issues only started showing up 2 weeks into the 50mg dose.

My GP says this may be a side-effect of the medication, as it is now reaching full effectiveness and therefore the feelings of anxiety and the effect on my stomach now.
She says it may go away.

I was wondering whether anyone else experienced something similar on Sertraline?

My Dr says it could also just be that the anxiety is worsening, causing this effect.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Sertraline causing anxiousness?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
It made my hyper but neither of those two side effects
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

PaulaJo

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
Thanks Zaf.
Did this 'hyper' feeling start straight away after starting Sertraline, or after a couple of weeks or so?
And, did it go away at all?
I have felt the 'hyper' feeling too - I felt like I constantly wanted to be doing something, constantly doing housework etc.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
It built up after two or three weeks PaulaJo, in the end I came off it and went onto Prozac as I was tackling huge garden projects and blitzing the housework too

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Catbrian

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 11:38:40 PM »
Paula, hi

I was on sertraline years ago.  I remember tummy cramps and diarrhoea but they subside after about 2-3wks.  I'm not sure if it made me hyper, but Prozac almost blew my head off.  Everyone reacts differently to A.D's.  Keep the Doc informed as perhaps it's not suiting you.

good luck

PaulaJo

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:13:33 PM »
Thanks Cat - I'm hoping the stomach issues will subside for me too!
I'm now moving from 50mg to 75mg a day, and hoping this will take away the extra anxiousness and depression, as well as the diarrhoea...

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
 For me it was citalopram that sent me sideways, and quiatiapine that sent me to the moon.

If you don't like the sertraline there are other medications for you to try.

Steve

oceansdeep

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
I took sertraline and didn't notice any increase in anxiety / panic attacks. If you've not been taking it long and changing doses, it could be that side-effects will settle down for you when your body's had a chance to adjust? Ocean