Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 3110 times)

D 2006

• Karma Group
What are you reading?
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:25:15 AM »
I'm coming to the end of "The Psychopath Test" by Jon Ronson. A great book about the 'madness industry' I thought it may have a depressing effect on me, but I found it quite lifting. It is heavy going and quite gruesome in parts -but a real eye opener in others.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:34:17 AM by D 2006 »

manintheshadows

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »
id ask participants/readers to see my post under listenhing...music,for the same applies here.reading is a real struggle.usually i read and enjoy "difficult"books-im not particularly clever but i like extending and stretching my mind and understanding and acting in the world.when im better,even with a demanding job,i manage about a book a week.since the latest experience of depression ive managed 4 books in 6 months,including 2 about rosa luxemburg and another on antonio gramsci.

at time like this my concentration and focus are affected,and i can often "misread"text or meaning which compels me to read and reread.

im determined not to give up,and have advised to keep doing what is so important for me-especially as i now contribute reportage,analysis,comment and opinion on  a number of sites.

that said i do manage to read short pieces on the internet.my latest read is a journal-historical materialism number 9.

endlos

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »
 Why do you not cosider you are not clever. \i think you are clever to have found this site, you have posted, and therefore put an action foreward. I do not really know the definition of clever. Some times a smart re-action, or a quick reaction to a phrase or question can be classed as clever. You are Clever in many ways, you read the post, took time out to think and then posted a reply, this must be surely a positive thing, and so a big well done

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
Consciousness Beyond Life - the science of the near-death experience.  Its so far proving really interesting but I dont concentrate well at this stage of my illness so I have to keep re-reading pages to fully ubderstand them
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
A Rustle in The Grass by Robin Hawden.

I found it in the loft amongst a bunch of my OH's school things... its about the ant world! Which sounds really geeky and boring! But its not!!  :P The ants basically have thier little communities and one of the great leaders has just died which proves an ideal oppourtunity for the 'worker ants' to mount a sort of revoulution - reminds me very much of George Orwells 1984... but with ants!

I love reading and I am so pleased my concentration is coming back!! There are times when its still a bit of a struggle, but I'm determined to not let it slip again! Reading is a fantastic escape if you can do it  :)
This too shall pass.

Pete

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:31 AM »
Hmmmm technically I am not actually reading anything right now but I do have 5 books which i have started and left and fully intend to go back to but I just cant seem to get past 2 or 3 pages before I think why bother. No interest or I drift off so give up.  :(

kittensocks

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:55:55 AM »
Your concentration will come back Pete, don't worry :)

I've started to read a lot of crime novels and stuff like that, morbid things comfort me  ::) (I have to watch an episode of Dexter to make me sleepy) so I'm reading The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule, all about Ted Bundy...
I know, it's weird!  :P :P
ks x

hope123

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
Faery Tale. :) A woman's journey to find faeries, so far she has found trolls haha. :D

Karian

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 12:37:23 AM »
Finished One Child - Torey Hayden this morning
I few to start but my eyes are playing funny and can only read a few pages before the words start dancing x