Author Topic: My experience with medication  (Read 5844 times)

joethfc

• Karma Group
Re: My experience with medication
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
No worries plumb, I was just covering all outcomes. I think it's confusing for people that I can cope so well when the pressure is on, if there's a deadline or there's a lot at stake. People just think I'm lazy or lacking motivation because I don't always operate in 5th gear. I worry people think I'm milking the depression in order to do less. I know this is silly, I just clearly use too much energy on such little things, then get depressed because I wear myself out. I see this now, all the time I spend coping is just me running myself in the ground because hard work comes with so much stress/anxiety. Also, the times when I'm not busy seem to provide me with new sources of anxiety; like the football or my future. I'm just realising that none of this is healthy.
"It's only life."

mrmoody

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 11:02:30 PM »
meds are weird how they act. I was told by my psych nurse last May that there can be a period of feeling worse before feeling better and that can include intense(r) feelings of suicide. I know for me that was just unbearable and I wasnt willing to persevere. Meds affect people different, I know a friend who said Citlopram was great. I recall feeling quite paranoid the first time I took Prozac. Maybe I was more tolerant back then as in the side effects werent quite as severe

joethfc

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
It does worry me that drugs could make me feel worse but at least I have time with no obligations coming up. I also wonder about the placebo effect.
"It's only life."

mrmoody

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 10:59:10 PM »
I think it has to be a factor, just swallowing a pill that we are told will make us better must have psychological impact.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
I remember taking my first anti-depressant tablet and wanting it to work the same way a pain killer does.  I was horrified when it didn't.  I had no idea it would take weeks to work  :(.  Once I realised, it was hard but I stuck with it.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »
Even though my GP warned me of the time lapse I wanted (and still sometimes want) something like a pain killer that will work quickly
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.