Author Topic: Bad side effects 1st time on Citalopram - none second time around?  (Read 3587 times)

SirhC

I took Citalopram for approx 7 months before coming off, having a relapse and then being put back on it. First time I was on citalopram I had bad side effects (at first), so was not looking forward to taking it again. However second time around I had no side effects at all.

I'm glad I’ve not had any side effects this time, but it's made me think about the first time around and it's got me thinking if it was a bit more than the usual side effects:

Firstly it was just feeling thirsty and peeing constantly, but before long I started to have the following side effects:

# Constant yawning and tired feeling eyes, but really fidgety, full of energy and hyperactive at the same time (and not really sleeping).

# Really horny - basically to the point of getting turned on by just about anyone (men too which isn't normally my thing!  :o)

# Impulses to cut myself (and acting on them) - but not in a "depressed" way, more just as something that seemed "good" to do.

It might sound stupid, but at the time it didn't seem like an issue (I was totally more happy than I've ever been despite these side effects) it's only looking back from a relatively normal standpoint that It worries me. I mentioned it all to my GP (Well I mentioned that I'd had THOUGHTS of self harm, but not that I’d ACTED on them) and he just dismissed it all.

In the past I've done online tests that indicated I may have bipolar but again this was dismissed by (a different) GP.

I'm not too bothered about being diagnosed with one thing or another, but I've restarted without any side effects I’m worried that rather than being initial side effects it was a SSRI induced manic episode or something and that if that's the case it could happen again at some point?

I don't want to be going along thinking its all going fine and then it all falls apart again - I’ve done that enough times already :-(

Any advice? Can SSRI induced mania happen at any point if your susceptible to it or would it already have happened by now (been back on Citalopram for just over a Month)

SirhC

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Bad side effects 1st time on Citalopram - none second time around?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:09:41 AM »
Fortunately I've never had any noticeable side effects in citralopram, someone else her might know the answers to your questions, have you adked your Gp?

Z x
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: Bad side effects 1st time on Citalopram - none second time around?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
Hi

Ssri's can induce hypomania/mania. I think the reason why your GP dismissed it is to have a diagnoses of bipolar you have to have symptoms that are not induced by ssri's. Maybe it's worth talking about the online tests with the GP you have now.

I think most SSRIs also give a bit of an energy boost.

I would talk your concerns through with a GP.

Xxx