Author Topic: Hello everyone, newbie in need of help  (Read 5340 times)

whiteadder

• Karma Group
Re: Hello everyone, newbie in need of help
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 06:48:51 PM »
Already I've had more support from this forum than I've ever had from the NHS!

I felt that too when I first came here. I'm so glad I found it  _+_
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
This forum is a great place to be S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

CharleysAngel'

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
Hi pinkpheonix,

Welcome to the forum, everyone here is really friendly and will support you in every way we can :)

The NHS can be pretty useless, I had to wait months for my assessment with CAMHS which they wouldn't even give me to start with because I hadn't seen a school counsellor, but the school wouldn't let me see the counsellor because the doctor was already 'dealing' with the situation. They keep changing their minds about whether I have a physical or mental condition and I'm about to have my third lot of bloodtests this year. Many people have experienced problems with the NHS so you are not alone xx

Hugs for you xx
Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough I don't know why;'
Lana Del Rey

pinkphoenix

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »
What would be a good anti - depressant to go on?  I've taken Prozac and a few others before but they didn't make any changes to me.  I'm intending on seeing my G.P asap to ask for new ones as not taken anything for about a year now.  Me being stubborn, thought I could do it on my own.

Thanks for the support and hugs :)

Emma xx
Maktub - It is written

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
Prozac stopped working for me and I'm now on citralopram, I'm not sure if its effectiveness is wearing off or a series of life events have simply overwhelmed its effectiveness recently so I'm having to wait till the end of the summer before my GP will consider changing my meds

Z x
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Catbrian

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
Prozac was actually the first anti-depressant I tried, many years ago.      It was also the worst for side effects and exacerbated my anxiety and paranoia.   Now, I am also on Citalopram for 2yrs.  I think it's good because I've had no side effects.   I came off it a few months ago because I thought it was rubbish. Tut....my depression sunk lower than it has been for years, so now I'm back on it again.  

My Psychiatrist also put me on Quetiapine, which is a mood stabiliser/anti-psychotic.  It's very powerful and I'm not so sure I'd recommend it for depression cause it didn't do mine much good. It has kept my anxiety and paranoia at bay, so I suppose it's helped.

I think everybody here would agree, you really need to just try a few out until you find the one that suits you best
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:22:58 PM by Catb »

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »
I was on Citalopram for a couple of years, then it stopped working, I am now on Duloxetine and its working well for me.  But we are all different and what works for one doesn't work for another.

S x x x x

pinkphoenix

• Karma Group
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
I've tried both Prozac and Citalopram but they didn't work at all. I'm also an insomniac and was given a few tablets (I can't remember the name) but they made me even worse.  Only reason they were prescribed was because I hadn't slept for days.

I'll ask the Doc about the meds you've suggested and see what he says.

Are there any good self-help books?

Thanks again.

Emma xx
Maktub - It is written

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
I tried citalopram, then seroxat and was eventually given mirtazapine because it makes you sleep. It also makes you eat everything in sight, but it really does make you sleep.

pinkphoenix

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »
I don't mind taking meds but the side effects make me think twice about it. Plus I wouldn't want to become reliant on something. All I can do is speak to the Doc (although no doubt there won't be an appointment for weeks)

Emma xx
Maktub - It is written

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
Hope you get an appointment soon, just explain your concerns and worries and hopefully he/she can find something suitable for you  !+_.

S x x x x

pinkphoenix

• Karma Group
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
Will do, thanks Shaz. I appreciate your help £$%

Emma xx
Maktub - It is written

Ducky

• Karma Group
    • Mandalay Emporium
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 07:15:54 AM »
I've tried both Prozac and Citalopram but they didn't work at all. I'm also an insomniac and was given a few tablets (I can't remember the name) but they made me even worse.  Only reason they were prescribed was because I hadn't slept for days.

I'll ask the Doc about the meds you've suggested and see what he says.

Are there any good self-help books?

Thanks again.

Emma xx

Dear Emma,

You are not alone; though I haven't personally been let down by the NHS, they failed my son for reasons I won't go into on a public forum. It is very difficult to find a decent GP surgery these days - trial and error I'm afraid. I had two ghastly ones until I found my current one. You are perfectly entitled to change surgeries until you find a decent one, and if you have not been satisfied with the service provided, a letter to your local MP would not go amiss, you could also write to the BMA, GMC and various other local and national bodies. Don't let the crappy NHS get away with providing a sub-standard "service".

Regarding your book query, I am a bookseller myself but yours isn't really my field. I would suggest first trying www.amazon.co.uk and typing in a general search query in their book section; if you do know of a particular title you are looking for, the two best used book search engines are:

www.bookfinder

and

http://used.addall.com

(or, as a last resort, eBay, of course).

Hope this helps,

Ducky +-_

pinkphoenix

• Karma Group
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »
Thank you Ducky. Really appreciate your help. Hope you're doing ok at the moment.

Emma xx
Maktub - It is written

pinkphoenix

• Karma Group
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:10 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've not been on here in a long time., due to the fact our wifi got cut off so didn't have a way of logging on.  I've missed being able to talk about things. 

I the last few months things have been very strange.  I finally had my assessment for DBT, which will start in the New Year and I started bereavement councilling last week.  Had my 2nd session today which was incredibly hard! I voiced things that I'd never said out loud before. 

Last weekend I tried overdosing again.  Things just got too much again and I didn't know where to turn.  I felt hopeless and couldn't speak to anyone.  After the hospital I was sent to see the Crisis Team, I felt positive that I'd be helped for a little while, but after only 3 sessions I was told "by the look of it, you're ok" I mean come on!! People who appear ok surely don't try overdosing :( Again it made me lose faith in Crisis Teams.  So I've been told to go back to my G.P or local A&E department if I feel like that again.  It sure feels like people like us get passed from pillar to post huh?

I got in to yet another bad relationship.  Started out perfectly then there were little tell tale signs that I should get out before it got too far.  There was a lot of emotional abuse.  I didn't realise truly what was going on until I read an article about a woman who had suffered emtional abuse and everything she spoke about I could relate to my own relationship.  Luckily tonight I got out of it altogether.  Changed my number so he can no longer contact me. 

He constantly lied, told me things about himself, then denied saying them.  I truly felt like I was on the brink of a breakdown.  I didn't know what the truth was.  But today I was strong enough to put an end to it once and for all. 

I went to a non smoking clinic today and have my patches and inhaler so as of tomorrow I'm quitting.  I'm also joining a slimming club next week which my Mum goes to.  I'm trying to channel my energy in to doing positive things for myself. 

It feels good to be back on here. 

Once again, thanks to all of you for taking the time to read my posts.

Emma xx
Maktub - It is written