Author Topic: The dinosaur thread  (Read 3132 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
The dinosaur thread
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
I've just posted on I.B.'s thread and it gave me an idea for this thread.  It's to post memories and so on of things things that show our ages  0062 .

I remember when I was little my sister and I would dress up in my mum's dresses that she no longer wore.  They were beautiful 1950's dresses.  (I was born in 1961  :-X )

Ice Maiden

• Karma Group
Re: The dinosaur thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:48:45 PM »
I remember my mum putting my hair in rags when I was young after having a bath and sleeping with them on.  It made my hair curly which I loved as I had long hair.

sapphire78

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »
I remember sharing dog chocs and snuggling up to our springer spaniel in her bed. Used to talk to her like she was my closest friend. She was only reason I spoke to my stepdad when I first met him. Amazing dog.
And since you know you cannot see yourself,
so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
will modestly discover to yourself,
that of yourself which you yet know not of.
William Shakespeare

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
making our own billycart from old pram wheels and a few btis of wood, going down a hill it soon became apparent why we should add a break
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
My mum put my hair in rags as well to make it curl then put plenty of hairspray on it the next day to keep the curls as I had fine hair.

I remember collecting leaves that had come off the trees to use for a guy as my birthday is on the 5th November and having a firework party.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
Anybody remember wearing platform shoes?

I remember begging my mum to buy me a pair and she eventually gave in when she saw a pair in the sales.  All was good until one day when a friend's dad dropped us at school .  We were almost late so ran across the road and I fell flat on my face and sprained my ankle.  My friend's dad got me home after letting the school know and my mum suggested the shoes went to the back of the wardrobe until my dad forget about them.  Needless to say I was threatened not to tell my dad I was wearing those shoes when it happened.

I.B Igor

• Karma Group
  • a good soul is one that has suffered,and is kind.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 11:54:04 AM »
Marathon Chocolate bars, before the name changed ,
Spangle sweets, proper sherbet dips, bought by the bagful, with a licorice dip added to the bag.
Grannies with mysterious paper bags with sweets in, might be Mint imperials, might be Toffee Eclairs, or just toffee,  might be jelly babies, or in Winter Army and Navy mix, or my favorite cough candy.
Milk men, and pints on the doorstep, with the top pecked out by birds. Buying Shandy for Christmas from him. 
wearing woolen mittens with the string threaded through your coat, so you don't loose them.
Kids wearing vests!, and navy blue knickers . Being told to tuck your vest into your pants. To keep your kidneys warm . ( I still do it ! )
Sunday Best clothes.
Stripey toothpaste , and a pink powder in a tub used by my Nan, Eucryl?, to clean her teeth.   
Using talcum powder.
Carbolic soap , and Green Household soap, ( I have a bar of that now ) and Lifebuoy soap, leaving a pink rim round the bathtub.
Setting Lotion, used by my Nan.
Platform shoes worn by my brother. With flared jeans .
Watching him iron jeans with a knife sharp edge down the front , yep people wore denim with an iron crease down the front, deliberately.   
Seeing my first pair of 501 jeans with a button fly, not a zip. ( my dad said they were an old idea then )
White bread, brown with bits in was for old people, or the sick.
Lucosade in a glass bottle with colored crinkly cellophane over it. ( you were really ill if you got that )
Ambulance drivers in a uniform.

God, now I feel ninety five!.
A good soul is one that has suffered , and is kind.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
All this talk of sweets reminds me when I was a kid.  Loose sweets in glass jars in shops instead of plastic ones, rainbow sherbert, black jacks and fruit two for an old penny.

The old thrupences in the Christmas pud then it went up to six pence. 

The small bottles at school which would have a layer of ice in the winter.

The coal man coming round .... yes I can just about remember that.

Being given three shillings by an uncle and thinking I was rich.

The nit nurse ..... 0062