Author Topic: Mental health care - has it failed you?  (Read 1389 times)

alys511

• Karma Group
Mental health care - has it failed you?
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »
Has anyone been made to feel worse by a lack of understanding or care from the mental health professionals? 

niz

• Karma Group
Re: Mental health care - has it failed you?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:26:16 PM »
I dont know about made to feel worse but I do feel like I have been given up on.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
well, in a way i tend to think the same as niz, been to 2 sessions so far for manageing depression, havent told me anything i dont know already.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

niz

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:26:12 AM »
When depression hit me, I was so confused I didn't know what was going on and if I am honest I thought I was going insane, I went to my GP and started taking meds and also went to counselling this helped me out of the dark place I was at and worked great, trouble was my counselling was only for 8 sessions and it took me about 5 sessions to come out of my shell and really discuss my issues, even the counsellor said she wishes that there was more time as she thought it would benefit myself so she managed to get one extra session in more than I was supposed to have. That was June last year, ever since that all that happens is when my meds get close to running out I call my Gp surgery he then calls me back, asks how I have been feeling and prescribes me more meds, I don't even get called in. This is why I feel like I have just been forgotten and left to deal with it, maybe this is the same for others I don't know?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »
I wouldn't say it's failed but on the other hand it hasn't really helped either.  Okay so I've had CBT but that's it for actual help apart from pill pushing but only one thing for depression.

beataamanda

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
I felt the same at the beginning, the first GP I saw was uncaring and simply referred me to a couple of websites, asked if I wanted medication and then sent me on my way. I wasn't happy with this and within a week I had gone back and asked to see a different Dr. I was lucky with the Dr that I found, she was compassionate, caring and understanding and talked me through my different options.

While having CBT, I asked my counsellor if we could include some talking therapy as opposed to just using techniques as I believe that this was what I needed.

Don't be afraid to tell your health care workers what you need - if they are good at their job and care about you they will do their best to help. Otherwise look elsewhere, change counsellor - you are never ever stuck with someone!

Beata Amanda
(Beata derived from the Italian meaning, blessed, lucky, blissful or heavenly.)

alys511

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 01:10:29 PM »
Love your user name Beataamanda!  You've got some good help now.  I'm  not afraid of saying what I need, but I've been saying it for a year to the  only mental health team in the area.  A CPN made me feel bad that I'm not working.  Can you believe it?  I don't even leave the house.  I'd love to, but I can't. (Not agrophobia, I suffer from sound sensitivity). 

Good to hear about you.  As a result of my lack of support, I just feel ashamed of myself.  I sometimes feel I don't deserve to be alive.  Sorry about the doom and gloom.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »
That's one of the problems with lack of support and feeling shamed of yourself.  Logic says you shouldn't feel like that and it's the illness making you feel like that.  I have gone through periods of feeling like that but eventually I got into a frame of mind of knowing that I don't need to feel ashamed.

beataamanda

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:55:54 AM »
It's horrible that you are made to feel ashamed of yourself, it's terrible as well that it can be the luck of the draw, depending on where you live, what your local council/government offers in the way of support, whether you have money, whether the GP's in your area are worth a snot - unfortunately this can mean that some people get the help that they need and others don't. Much the same as with things like brain tumours going undiagnosed etc.

I'm so pleased that you are on here and continually returning, it shows that you are not entirely without hope and hopefully makes you feel better knowing that you are not alone and there are others out there.

I've had to get past the shame and it was difficult without the help of other people.

One of the things I've done which was really helpful was some activity books and reading. Have you looked into a book called The Artists Way by Julia Cameron  - you can order it on Amazon, I would order a couple of new notebooks as well. It's actually designed to unblock artists but is such a wonderful investigation into the self that it has been extremely successfull in helping people out of Depression, I would highly recommend it! And, it's fun to do some art and do something you can be incredibly proud of!

I'm also in the middle of reading a book called Women who run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pikola Estés which I would recommend too. It's a powerful spiritual book that reminds us that as women we do have a lot of external pressures, predators and cares and it's okay to feel under it sometimes, but we have the Wildish Woman and an extremely powerful Psyche inside us that if we can get in touch with her, we can get back to the power we're meant to have.

I hope that helps Alys, and feel free to reach out one on one to talk, I'm more than happy to message back and forth to discuss :)

alys511

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
I don't think professionals really know how we feel.  It's just a job for some of them as well.  I've been made to feel ashames cos I can't work.