Author Topic: Liquid form of Flouxetine refused for my husband pls help  (Read 3312 times)

Sarah27

Liquid form of Flouxetine refused for my husband pls help
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Hi guys, I am new to the forum, my husband has been incredibly depressed recently and took the massive step of going to the doctors yesterday for help. He was prescribed prozac, and then walked out of the building, he then realised that he had forgotten to ask for the liquid form of prozac because he cant take tablets, its a mental fear, he just cannot take tablets. He went back in, spoke to receptionist who told him to come back later. He went back and she said the doctor said he wont prescribe the liquid form because of the cost, and even gave him the postit note which he had written on to say just that. My husband told the lady that he couldnt take tablets and she told him unless you have a medical reason why you cant take tablets they wont prescribe the liquid. And told 'just try it'. Defeated he got the tablet form from the pharmacy and has unsurprisingly failed to take the first tablet.

I am absolutely gobsmacked and appalled at what has happened, surely this is not right?! He now feels like nobody cares after doing such a brave thing of going to the doctors to be made to feel like he is not worth their money.

What do you guys think of this?

Thanks, Sarah x

KateG

• Karma Group
Re: Liquid form of Flouxetine refused for my husband pls help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum

That is ridiculous. Can he go back and see another GP? Or see the first GP in person to explain?

&*(

Kate x

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
That's awful, is it on his notes that he has a fear of swallowing tablets?

Xxx

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Hi, when I was on prozac they came in capsule form, are your husband's like that?  If so you should be able to cut the capsules and take the powder inside by mixing with water - its a bit fiddly but probably worth the effort

I would also persist in trying to get it in liquid form if you can

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sarah27

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:48:29 PM »
He went back, and they still said no, he spoke to the practice manager and she said you'll have to open the capsules and do it that way :( Cannot believe it!!!!!

Sarah x

Micky

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
Such is the NHS now unfortunately. More bothered about costs than patients well-being. I would go for the capsules or crush the tablets up and mix with water.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Did the practice manager actually speak to a dr? Some capsules you shouldn't break.  Maybe its worth having a chat with the pharmacy where you pick the meds up from.

Sx x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »
Arguably your husbands needs to face his fear and take the tablets, as he has the issue of bad depression. It isn't true that he cannot take the tablets....yes he can, he certainly has the option of taking them. After battling OCD for years I know how difficult it can be to over come fears, but I also know that it is very possible to do so. A fear of swallowing a tablet is certainly surmountable.

Secondly, there is the option of an oraldispersable tablet that is available for some medication such as mirtazepine, it melts on your tongue...so perhaps that could be the next step for him

Steve XXX