Author Topic: 60mg Citalopram  (Read 5506 times)

lbruk

• Karma Group
60mg Citalopram
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »
currently thats what i am on, with Zopiclone in the evenings to help me sleep if i need it. Apparently they have reduced the max dosage of Citalopram to 40mg due to it causing irregular heart beats, my GP suggested dropping ine down, which i did for a week, but felt absolutely awful becuase of it, he said if that happened to go back up to the 60mg again and see how it goes.

anyone else on this finding simular problems dropping dosage?
L

SteveW

• Karma Group
Re: 60mg Citalopram
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
When I came off Citalopram  I had a whole bunch of nasty symptoms. There is a list of them at the following link: I had pretty well everything they list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome

The good news about dropping to 40 mg is that the makers insist there is little if any anti-depressant benefit to be gained by being on 60 mg as opposed to 40mg. It all about the QT interval on a ECG trace and lots of anti-depressants prolong this. I wouldn't personally go back up to 60 mg but I'm a cautious man when it comes to the heart.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

lbruk

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
i did try to drop to 40mg, but felt bloody awful! headaches were terrible and i just felt meeeeh, lol, went back up to the 60mg again and felt fine! I have a consultant appointment in Jan, so will discuss it with him then, my GP has said to go back to the 60mg for now but he did give me lots of warnings that i shouldnt be on it!
But as he said, 60mg has the max dosage for so long, that he would have thought it would have been picked up on sooner if it was a widespread problem
L

winter

• Karma Group
    • songs from lost voices
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »
I am on 60mg as well. I was on 20mg but it didnt work out. I have no problem being on a high dose. because it helps.

Pete

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
I was on 60mg for a while but to be honest I just don't know what they did as I felt no better at all. I continued to have my anger issues, still couldn't sleep and still felt the same as always, so deep down in a hole with no light. My doctor also informed me about the "new" info and dropped me to 40mg and again I felt nothing. In fact since I was upped to 40mg and got very agitated I have had no real changes , just constantly down with "flashes" of anger and extreme hostility.

My doc has now had me drop my dose to 20mg then 10mg and I am now starting on 20mg of Zoloft (serataline) in a hope that these work but right now I'm feeling very mixed up emotionally.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:22:46 PM »
Serataline made me hyper on even a small dose, citralopram 40mg seems to work for me OK at the moment
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

cazzzy

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
im on 40mg...didnt know you could go up to 60mg,think i may see if my gp will do this...as like you they reduced mine and it was hell  >:D...hope you get yours sorted

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:43:15 AM »
I read the actual reports on the heart problems. It was very carefully worded. The dosage at 60 mg may MAY cause some changes which MAY lead to heart problems in SOME patients with an existing heart condition. This does not mean citalopram causes changes in the functioning of your heart. Even if it does cause the changes observed by these researchers, it does not mean that these changes will alter the functioning of your heart, and they are only liklely to do so if you have a heart problem already.

The drug companies are covering their own backs because millions of people take the stuff daily.

I feel arrogant when I keep pointing out stuff like this, it makes me sound like I think I know what Im on about when I don't, but I'm trained in science and I can understand the language of these papers.

On 60 mg you'll be reet, unless your one in 3 million or whatever the odds are.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:48:11 AM by Stevie »