Author Topic: Help with Citalopram - stopped working????  (Read 14321 times)

Catbrian

Re: Help with Citalopram - stopped working????
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »
Nay, two things come to mind;

Are you eating and drinking enough in the day time?

Are you taking the AD in day or night?  I've always used my AD last thing at night and I barely suffer noticeable side effects.  Sometimes, you need to play around with them a bit and take it when best suits

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 10:13:09 PM »
I have one to take in the morning and one to take in the evening, both with food. My appetite isn't great at the moment, but I am making sure I try to eat 3 meals a day. I have a cup of decaf tea in the morning, and drink water for the rest of the day. I'm drinking lots of water at the mo as I have that horrid dry mouth that accompanies anti depressants!

I'm feeling a bit better today. Took some of my residents on a trip to the beach, and even though we got caught in a hailstorm, we al really enjoyed it. It helped them to get out of the hostel, and a change of scene did me the world of good. Feel like I brightened a couple of people's days today  =+-

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »
Fantastic, so glad to hear Nay!!!
I have had a bit of a low day but I think it's because I am stopping citalopram this week and increasing venlafaxin.
Overall, it's going okay just a bit of up and down.

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 10:21:41 PM »
I know that feeling. So how come you're still on the Citalopram as well as the Ven? My Dr got me to stop taking Citalopram last Weds and start taking the Ven on the Thursday. I'm not sure it should have been like that?

Hugs for you xxx

%^%

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
My doc did a cross over: cut citalopram in half and take venlafaxin 37.5 for two weeks. Now take citalopram one day out of two for a week and take 2 venlafaxin 37.5
There are many many different ways to swap meds. I personally find stopping abruptly a bit too brutal (even if some doc don't seem to see a problem with it!). I much prefer a gentle transition....

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2012, 10:31:29 PM »
Wish i could've done that. Then maybe the side effects wouldn't have been as bad. Too late now  :(

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
Yes, I've had some "butcher like" doctor in the past who went "ah well, stop taking this immediately, for all you are taking, it's not going to make a massive difference"... then you find yourself shaking and having massively high rates of anxiety thank you very much!!!

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2012, 10:57:32 PM »
Indeed. The one thing that has amazed me is that I suffer with anxiety and with it I have had panic attacks for years, but during this recent bout of depression I haven't had a single attack. Small victories make a big difference.

How long does it take for citalopram to leave your system? Worried I may be in for possible withdrawal symptoms or stronger side effects once the citalopram has left and the ven really kicks in.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
Erm, how much citalopram were you on?
Not long, I am tempted to say about 5 days?

Nay

• Karma Group
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2012, 07:13:15 PM »
I was on 20mg for the last two years. Two years before that i had been up to 40mg.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
How have you been feeling today?
I don't think you are going to get more side effects, every day less anyway xx

Catbrian

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
I agree with Book.  Citlopram should be out your system in a few days/1 week.  However, when I came off 5-6yrs usage, I still occasionally took a Citalopram if I couldn't sleep (GP's recommendations).  I think the way you're doing your swap over, Nay, is okay, the Venlafaxine will counteract any adverse symptoms.  It's never easy changing over meds no matter how we approach it, I know only too well from experience, but things should start looking up for both of you very soon

Bookletter's, sorry to hear you're not feeling your best today, I hope that improved with your day.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »
Thanks Cat, yes today has been a better day thank you.

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2012, 02:53:01 AM »
My doctor changed my meds the same way as yours Nay.

I thought I had been taking 10mg for the past year but turn out it was 20mg of Citalopram.

I weaned slowly, 3/4 a tablet, 1/2 tablet 1/4 then nothing for 3 days. The 3 days were so hard. Then I started Venlafaxine.

How are your symptoms now?
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

Catbrian

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
Yes, Leo, I had to come off 5-6yrs of Citalopram within a 3wk period before Psychiatrist would try me on something new.  It was one of the worst times of my life, particularly the last week

Pleased you had a better day yesterday, Bookletters, hope today's even better!