Author Topic: Medication woes, feel there is no help  (Read 5506 times)

downincornwall

• Karma Group
Medication woes, feel there is no help
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:40:51 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just joined the forum.
I am currently on Mirtazapine 15mg and really dont think it is helping me.
I was on Citralapram before this and found it helped for a while but then I slipped back into feeling down.
At present, on a daily basis, I have no get up and go at all. I dont want to get out of bed! Often I dont go to work, I am sure my boss will get sick of this before long.
On the weekends I dont rise till 2pm and when I do I dont feel like doing anything or going anywhere!
Mostly I dont like to be around people, family included, and just hide away in my room.
Currently living at home due to financial circumstances. Which perhaps doesnt help.
I also feel my weight is on the up with these new pills.
I dont know what to do or try next?!!?
I joined the gym by rarely have the energy to bother going.
Help!

Catbrian

Re: Medication woes, feel there is no help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »
You describe all the classic symptoms of depression.  I also have similar experience of antidepressants initially having an effect before slipping back into depression again.  15mg is quite a low dose.  I take 30mg Mirtazapine.  I'm also on some other medication for depression, so it's difficult to determine what exactly is responsible for helping my mood.

Maybe it might help if you chat to the GP about increasing the meds and also referring you for counselling.  Spend time looking around the Forum, you will see other people struggling with similar difficulties.  It's a good source of info and support.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »
Hello and welcome, I had to try several different meds until I found one which worked.  Sometimes it just a matter of trial and error.  You are not alone in how you are feeling, we all understand here.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

downincornwall

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:40:31 AM »
I also have terrible back pain, especially at night after taking my meds. is this down to the pills?

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
I wouldn't like to say, I think you should mention this to your Dr.

S x x x x

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »
Yes, see your doctor about your back pain as it could be anything from straining it, trapped nerves, arthritis or something else.

downincornwall

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »
It just seems odd that I dont get it during the day when expected, as I work at a desk, but every night after i take my med my back is agony.
Been thinking of trying therapy, any recommodations?

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
I would speak to your GP about that back pain. While you're there, ask the Doc to refer you somewhere for therapy.  There are usually long waiting lists on the NHS.  Your local MIND organisation will also advice about therapy options.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
Could it be that you relax when you get home - thus the pain starting, just a thought, although I still think you should get it checked out.

I did my counselling and courses with MIND. I found the staff there very helpful and understanding. Your Dr could also advise you on counselling And CBT through the NHS, although as Cast has already said the waiting lists can be very long.

S x x x x

downincornwall

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
Went completely against my GP and didnt take my med the last 2 nights, and what-do-you-know, NO back pain and a good nights sleep! Bye Bye mirtazapene.
Maybe try hypnotherapy

Catbrian

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »
You should never suddenly stop any antidepressant, the sudden chemical imbalance is enough to cause considerable depression.  I wonder if the back pain has anything to do with kidneys.  Was it lower back?  I would let your GP know you are coming off them.  In light of your experiment, I'm sure they will agree

downincornwall

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 12:56:32 AM »
How could kidneys give me a bad back?
And why would it suddenly stop when I do not take the meds??

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »
Your kidneys are situated in the back of your body.  I agree you should tell your Dr about suddenly stopping your medication.

S x x x x

Catbrian

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
The best thing is to make the first available appointment to see the GP, but be careful with stopping the meds too suddenly, especially if you've been on them sometime. If you only just started them, then there should be no problem.

downincornwall

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:18:22 PM »
Will try and see the GP tomorrow. Bit of a moot point now as its been a week off meds.
Got sticking flu like symptoms with bad chest and aching joints, withdrawal side affect? coincidence?