Author Topic: Mirtazapine - Good, but with side effects...  (Read 7567 times)

rjs

• Karma Group
Mirtazapine - Good, but with side effects...
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
I was put onto mirtazapine about 6 months ago after trying a number of other meds first, fluoxetine, citalopram, sertraline, citalopram + quetiapine.

Mirt has given me back a part of my life that means I can go out and do things again. But...

But it's also given me some problematic side effects - I've gained weight (that seems to be a standard one), but I also feel nauseous all the time and my muscles/joints are aching too. I can't see these as common side effects, but nausea (for me at least) seems to be common to all of the ADs so far, although this seems to be the worst.

I'm sick of feeling sick, but have to weigh that up against being able to do things again. Because of the aches and pains I can't do what I used to. Mentally I can, physically I can't. I feel like I'm stuck in limbo, damned if I do and damned if I don't. Do I go back to the psych. and ask for a change? What other options are there? I'd rather not take meds at all because of the way I feel on them, but at the same time, I risk my mental health if I don't.

Has anyone else experienced these side effects to such an extent on mirtazapine? I've seen the other mirt thread, but a lot of that seems to be the initial adjustment and/or coming off, not whilst you're actually on it. I know there's a transition period with these as you start on them, but 6 months is more than enough, isn't it?

Thanks

Rob

calm_one

• Karma Group
Re: Mirtazapine - Good, but with side effects...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:44:34 PM »
Hi Rob,

I've been on Mirt for about 4 months, currently on 30mg and had been doing really well but the last few weeks have been bad again so I'm upping to 45mg tonight.

Anyway I do feel sick all the time too, however I really think this is my anxiety not mirtazapine as when my mood is good, I can eat like normal.

It could just be your depression thats causing you to feel sick all the time, some people comfort eat some people feel sick.

I did get sore knees for about 2 weeks after going up to 30mg but that wore off completly.

What dose are you on?

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
it could be anxiety causing you to feel sick, aching joints is an issue with many meds for some people, best bet is to chat to your doc about it.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

rjs

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I'm on 30mg, but I don't think it's anxiety related - That's the thing. Mirt's marvellous at what it does. No anxiety, no depression. Just feel sick and aching. Back to the GPs I think though.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »
I also think its best to have a chat with your Dr about the sickness and aching joints.

S x x x x   

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Catbrian

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:33:43 PM »
Hi Rob

I am also on 30mg Mirtazapine & 400mg Quetiapine since about this time last year.  My mood is probably better than it has been in several years, although I did have a bad bout in Dec/Jan, but since then, things are improving and I do believe the meds are contributing to improvements.

When I first began using antidepressants, the side effects were noticeable and sometimes unbearable.  I don't know whether I've become immune to something, but I have no significant side effects from the current meds or my last, Citalopram, which I was on for a few years.  The current meds make me more inclined to eat, hence the weight gain, but I exercise enough to keep that under control.

I do suffer from nauseousness from a combination of the psych meds and codeine for pain.  I ask the doctor to prescribe me Cyclizine.  It's an excellent anti-sickness drug, only on prescription.  That might help those sickly days.

The thing is, before you even start a new med, do you study the possible side effects and then your depressed state of mind is on red alert to the slightest twinge?  I've never read the side effects for any of my meds so the side effects never enter my head unless they are serious, which they were in the beginning.  Depression can also cause considerable pain in muscles and joints.  It's a vicious circle, the more we ache, the less we do and eventually our physical fitness levels plummet.

Of course, it's always better to discuss with the psych or GP.  I hope things start to improve

rjs

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »
Catb,

Thanks, yeah I know what you mean about reading the labels, but I think I've given the mirt a half decent chance at "settling in". Also on zapain (codeine+paracetemol) for other stuff, so it might be that combination that's messing me around.

I've managed to get an appointment with the psych consultant for next week, so will go and discuss then.

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:39:47 PM »
I think talking to the psych sounds the best course of action.  Some people decide the meds just aren't for them. Personally, I might prefer to tolerate some side effects if I was certain it was helping the depression.

Good luck with this.  Med changes are never easy

rjs

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
... Personally, I might prefer to tolerate some side effects if I was certain it was helping the depression.
Yeah, I agree with you again. The mirt is absolutely fantastic at what it's doing for my depression/anxiety, but the side effects are bad enough that it's those that are now stopping me from doing things.

Good luck with this.  Med changes are never easy
Thanks. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but perhaps there's something else... Different pain meds/anti-nausea/... who knows, I'm not a doctor, will wait and see.

Catbrian

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »
Good luck with it.  Let us know how it goes at the Doc next week

rjs

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 03:37:02 PM »
 Back  on omeprazole  as a  stomach  protector for the ibuprofen. Still aching  and  nauseous  though. Psychiatrist understandably reluctant to change  from mirt.  as it's benefits are obvious in my mood. GP  will review stomach issues again in a  few weeks.  Right now I'm desperately  trying not to reach for the zapain... I  don't want to get  stuck on yet another  set of tablets,  but if I  don't,  it hurts. Catch 22.  :bash:

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »
Hope things settle for you soon, I also have to take pain meds, sometimes I think I must rattle.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

alex1973

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »
bad side effects for me were waking up early and shaking, cold sweats, going dizzy to the point of passing out when I had my first cigarette in a morning and a feeling of being heavy and leaden when out and about walking. That dissapeared after first 2 months and I stopped smoking. I havent put on weight but I did feel 'snackish' alot (yes spell check you dont need to remind me that snackish isnt a real word).

I have helped keep off the weight by cutting out alcohol and doing exercise like jogging. I havent had the bad side effects you mention. My mood on it has been so-so but then I only take a low dose of 15mg. Anything more gives me restless leg syndrome at night which means I dont get a restful nights sleep.

ParsnipPierre

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
I recently got switched from Fluoxetine 60mg daily to Mirtazapine but due to the sedating effect had to start on the utterly pointless and baby dose of 15mg daily.  I have to say it does help me sleep (with a little help combining it with a Jack Daniels) cos I was finding I could get off to sleep ok but then would wake at 2,3 and 4am and be wide awake but then wanted to sleep through the day.  When i first started taking it a month ago I hated it when I got up in the mornings I would be acting like I had just sank a bottle of whisky and was really groggy and disorientated but that subsided.  I then got the aching limbs and cos I work in a pharmacy stood up all day it was painful cos I struggled to stand for long periods but then that subsided.  I then got the real problem, which still is, the internal rage and anger mixed with anxiety.  I will become anxious at the slightest thing like someone coughing slightly,taps running etc slightest little noises will set it off.  I have had 2 anxiety attacks in the past week, one was over picking a sandwich in the supermarket I walked up and down the aisle about twenty times and picked probably every sandwich up, which is very unlike me and I have never had them before.  I can feel my heart rate racing and paranoia kicking in to a point where it all gets to much and I have to abandon the task and go sit in a corner or somewhere out of the way.  The internal rage is more directed at myself rather than others I will frequently punch myself and the hatred towards myself is immense I then have to cut just relieve the pressure, as it becomes unbearable.  My doc is on holiday at the moment so gotta stick with the pointless 15's until she is back but gonna double them up cos I don't know if the side effects I have described above are from the tablets or because my depression is taking over because 15mg is not a therapeutic dose.Anyone else having the same problems with Mirtazapine?
"Don’t depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness"

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
Sorry, I can't help as I've never taken Mirtazapine