Author Topic: Scared- just being too sensitive?  (Read 733 times)

em89

• Karma Group
Scared- just being too sensitive?
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:04:39 AM »
Hello.
I'm 22, a student in my final year at university, and have been on fluoxetine for just over 12 months for depression/anxiety/ocd. I've been feeling really good on the fluoxetine, combined with therapy. I'm much more confident and happy, and feel able to deal with things. That's why I decided to begin tapering off the fluoxetine. My GP said to take a tablet every other day, which I have been doing for just over a week now with no side effects besides having very weird, vivid dreams!

The thing I'm worried about is how sensitively I react to other people's comments. Yesterday, a housemate said something which hurt me. This particular housemate, we get along well I suppose, but we aren't close and I feel like she makes little effort with talking to me-it's often one sided. In fact, I'm sure she doesn't really like me but I've accepted that. So yesterday I was explaining why I didn't quite like a girl on our course, and she said, 'You always remember things that have no relevance. Those things would never come up in a conversation ever.' Now then, this may not seem like much, but she has made similar comments previously about me talking nonsense/the things I say being unimportant (eg. 'what you've just said has nothing to do with the conversation.') As someone who often thinks about what they say in case they say something boring/offensive, I was quite hurt by this, especially since I didn't really say anything back which I would have liked to, and so feel like a failure for not standing up for myself properly.
To add to this, today another housemate said, 'No one knows what she [myself] is talking about half the time'. This wasn't meant in a belittling way, and not to be cruel-in fact I think it was supposed to be endearing. All the same, it has put me in a negative mood, as I am quite upset that I am never accepted and seen as serious among my housemates. I feel like they don't understand me, although I count most of them as my best friends and do very much like them, and then it becomes that I don't feel that anyone understands me or thinks I'm worth anything or that I am quite a deep person really. I don't feel listened to, and this worries me as I think, 'Would I think like this normally, or is it because I'm tapering off the fluoxetine?' I'm scared that I rely on the medication more than I think I do, and without it I'll be the depressed, negative and paranoid person I was before. I'm scared that I will need fluoxetine for my whole life.

I'm not sure what I'm asking, but I'd just like some opinions on whether this could be down to the tapering off fluoxetine...really I'm not sure what I'm asking but I want some reassurance that I won't be on the medication all my life! Sorry for the long post, and thank you for any replies

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Scared- just being too sensitive?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:44:16 AM »
I think those of us that are depressed are often more sensitive to things that are said to us and dwell on them for ages, I'm not sure if its because we are or depressed or the extra sensitivity contributes to our depression.

I've been told I may have to stay on antidepressants long term or possibly for life, my doctor could see that I wasnt happy with the prospect but asked if I'd feel the same if I had to take medication for another illness like a heart condition or diabetes, looking at it like that if I need to take antidepressants for depression, which is an illness, then I will do even if I'm not really happy about it

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »
I have always been sensitive to what others say or do for as long as I can remember.  I hate ill feeling and always worry what people think of me.  I personally think if we feel this way its just the way we are.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

chilliconcarnage

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »
Personally i think they sound like ar**holes! I dont think your being over sensitive. If someone spoke to me like that I would tell them that they were being out of order. But thats just me. Dont over analize too much.

Take it easy.
Yesterday was the past, and anything forward of today is fantasy. Now is all that matters.

em89

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:58:57 AM »

Chilliconcarange,

funny you should say that, because they managed to upset my other housemate tonight by 'taking the piss' out of her constantly. fair to say that does get very sensitive at times, but ill come to her point later. anyway, i said that i was pretty pissed off the other night and offered her some advice, saying that it's not just her that takes the bait. the other two girls, i dont think they quite realise how their teases can overstep the mark sometimes. also, i think the one who made the 'irrelevant' comment to me is very inconsiderate. she (ill call her E) and another housemate (J) also do the same course as me, but most of the time i feel like we're not on the same course at all. J has changed very much in the past year since having a boyfriend and i dont feel i know her at all anymore, which is a shame as we used to be very close, especially before E came along. anyway, this doesnt add much to my sensitivity towards E's comments.

as for the 'sensitive' housemate, im quite worried about her, although we havent always seen eye to eye. she is also on fluoxetine but has had her dose increase up to 40mg, which i kind of disagree with. not because i dont agree with high doses, but she is not depressed-she says so and i can see for myself that she doesnt-but just quite mild anxiety. im quite worried that shes on a high dose just for mild anxiety and lack of sleep; as someone who suffers from depression/anxiety/ocd and in the past has had severe depression, suicidal thoughts, and a history of self harm, ive remained on 20mg fluox for over 12 months. i just dont understand why she's on 40mg when her problems, not to be selfish or big myself up in any way at all, arent that big in the wider scheme of things.

chilliconcarnage

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
They spound like they are bullies. Ignore them, and they will soon get the hint. As for your mate being on 40mg, it could be the case she just need a higher dose because her body requires it. Not tat she has been mis diagnosed.?
Yesterday was the past, and anything forward of today is fantasy. Now is all that matters.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
I'm over sensitive too and I have times where I really hate it about myself. I constantly think back over conversations I've had and I'm always checking what I say and over analysing everything. I'm pretty sure its gone into overdrive with my depression and I know that my self-esteem is at rock bottom which doesn't help at all but sometimes, when I'm thinking rationally, I figure that I'd rather be on the over sensitive side and consider what other people think a bit too much than just plough on through without giving consideration to anyone else's feelings. xx
This too shall pass.