Author Topic: Be Nice..Im New...  (Read 1268 times)

smile19

Be Nice..Im New...
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »
Hi everyone.. this seems really weird coming on to this as Ive only just realised whats actually wrong with me. For months Ive felt really low.. a lots gone on in the past year, and I finally plucked up the courage to talk to my doctor about it all, who put me on anti depressants. I havent really spoke to a lot of people about it, only my boyfriend, and I'm finding it really hard to think how to tell my friends and family, as I dont think anyone will take me seriously.

I never really realised I was depressed, just thought it was a bit of a low time, but now I'm finding it really hard to get out of it.. getting out of bed to go to work has become one of the hardest things. I think I just feel a bit stupid, because in the grand scheme of things, I dont really have a lot to be 'depressed' about.

I dont even really know why I joined this, I think I just like the idea of talking to other people who have the same thing..

But anyway, if anyone wants to chat and help a newbie, Id much appreciate it! x

Depina

• Karma Group
Re: Be Nice..Im New...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
Welcome Smile :)
Similar to me, people seem so much worse off than me but it doesn't help you feel better. I tried to cope for years but burst into tears at the doctors, eventually went on to Anti d's, didnt tell my husband until a few years later,no-one else knows.

I got that I wanted to stay in bed or just sleep, had no interest in anything. I am better than I was. We have ongoing problems - financial and my husband has health probs, We don't talk about me/depression as it makes him feel depressed too !

It has been good to talk on here, everyone tries to be helpful.
Hope it helps you
D XX

Lol

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »
Hi Smile19

It is important to know that depression is an actual chemical imbalance. It is not a mood, or frame of mind. It is an actual physical chemical thing. This can help when you are explaining it to your family and friends. Sometimes when telling people who are uneducated on the subject (and that is most of mankind if they have never experienced it themselves), their immediate thoughts can be that you are unhappy about something that can simply be changed to fix you. This is very rarely the case. Even where you can see that there is an obvious trigger; loss of a loved one, trauma, purpetual negative experience or abuse, and you could remove yourself from it, the imbalance will remain until it is medically corrected. Counselling often helps this process as well. Think of this chemical imbalance as a bucket of water. You can go along lifes ups and downs and turns and highs and lows, and a little bit of water keeps tipping out with each knock life gives you. Your anti depressants are this water. Looking on the bright side, going on holiday, or thinking yourself out of it wont work because none of those things are water. Likewise, even if you have not experienced problems in your life, your bucket might have a slow dripping leak. Same applies. So when you talk to your folks and friends, try to explain that you are suffering from a chamical imbalance in the brain. Then when they say 'gosh what's that and what does it mean for you? You can tell them how it is making you feel and that you are on some medication to correct it. You can then even say 'this is more commonly termed depression, but this is what it actually is'. The word depression is often misused, over used and misunderstood.

I hope you get to the bottom of what has caused it, if anything, and can talk openly about it in here, with some one you trust, or with a professional counsellor. If there is no trigger, and you would like to talk about how it makes you feel, please do so. Everyone here understands.

Take Care Lol x

Depina

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
Lol I thought that was a great explanation, it really helps to understand what depression is. Thanks XX