Author Topic: Cheer up, it might never happen...  (Read 1844 times)

robinbrum

Cheer up, it might never happen...
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »
 :happy0158:

How annoying is it when people say that to you?

Hello everybody, my name is Rob and I'm a depressive...there, I said it! Just like an AA member.
I hate that term and I'm not even sure about its true clinical meaning but once somebody describes you like that (as a "pal" did to me in a pub once) it kind of sticks with you.

Actually, I consider my depression to be an illness in the true sense of the word, just as if I had a physical condition such as heart disease or diabetes. I see it as a very unwelcome intruder but it does not define me as a person which is why I hate the term "depressive" (despite me using it earlier) because it so narrow a term and so condemning.

Inside me, like all of us, there's a happy person who is desperate to get out and join the "normal" ranks of society (notice the use of inverted commas).

My interest is particularly in the nature and causes of depression and its possible remedies. This would include all types of therapy and medication, chemical, herbal, dietary or otherwise.

Sorry for waffling on so much! Look forward to speaking to some of you soon.

Rob.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: Cheer up, it might never happen...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:48 PM »
Hi robin
depression is indeed an illness that can cause a multitude of things to go on in our lives
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

robinbrum

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
"Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water."
Great quote.

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
Hi Rob, I agree with Stewart. It is an illness and causes a lot of variants to happen due to people misunderstanding and judging us!

i have a huge interest in the causes and remedies of depression and since diagnosis i have studied many aspects of psychology from reading about body language, relationships with people and their affects (not just family) ive read into transactional analysis which explains our ego states. ive read a lot of self help books and i personally believe gaining an understanding of these subjects and relating them to yourself helps massively... im still not at the stage of accepting certain things i think but at the moment am reading about self esteem which is very challenging but insightful nonetheless !

I hope you find the forums useful! see you around  :bye:
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Hi Rob,

I'm the same as I don't like people coming out with that line.