Author Topic: Depression caused by previous mental problems  (Read 1454 times)

RK

Depression caused by previous mental problems
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:53:02 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have never really posted on any kind of website like this before. Essentially, I just thought I'd see if anyone had had the same or similar experiences to me and could perhaps give me some advice or help me gain a better perspective of the situation I'm in?

In a nut shell, I'm 27 years old and from the age of 16 to 23 I smoked cannabis on a daily basis and as you can probably guess due to the fact that I'm posting on here I am one of the few individuals who developed mental issues (psychosis to be exact)  from doing so. I won't go into great detail but it was more akin to mental torture than depression and through that period I maintained that any depression I was suffering was a side effect caused by the other mental issues I was having. Eventually after being in a bad way for about a year or so I stopped smoking and became gradually better to a point where I could start to live my life again.

Ever since I have been fully aware that I'm not fully well but I though there's not a great deal me or anyone else can do about that so I'd might as well just paper over the cracks and get what I can out of life. I've done quite well at that in some ways, although I still find it quite hard to deal with situations such as entering a new work environment I have a large group of friends and what not, so until recently I've just been taking the rough with the smooth.

However, recently it seems I have started to buckle under the weight of the effort I have had to put into regaining aspects of my life and I seem to be suffering from some kind of depression. As opposed to my previous problem with psychosis (paranoia and a sense of being persecuted etc) I have been experiencing frenzied feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, general exhaustion from life and an inability to derive enjoyment from anything.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has come into contact with depression caused by residual psychosis or anything like that? I'm certain the two are linked and if I could explain it more clearly I'm sure it would be apparent to you also.

any way, just thought I'd put that out there.

Cheers.

Catbrian

Re: Depression caused by previous mental problems
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »

I'm not saying that cannabis was the cause of my depression, but heavy use has done me no favours.  I have suffered severe bouts of depression and the paranoia is a real killer.  Drug induced psychosis, particularly cannabis, is a lot more common than you might think.  Have you ever did research online?  Sometimes a bit of research can help us understand what we're going through.

You didn’t mention if you’ve been in touch with  GP or some other agency?  Are you taking any meds?  Sometimes, when we use too many drugs, the chemical balance in our brain is a little mixed up, for want of a better word (it is after midnight).  The use of Antidepressants in ex drug users is known to be beneficial.

The fact you gave up smoking cannabis, shows strength and determination, but it just sounds like you need a bit of advice and support.  I hope you can find it soon as you certainly deserve it.  Giving up is a tremendous achievement.

RK

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
Hia cat.

Yea, I've done research about the whole thing and I think I have a pretty good grasp of the subject. I'm a bit cautious of medication, I kind of see it as a measure of last resort, I wouldn't want to become dependant on anything. I was prescribed an anti-psychotic a few years ago when I was really ill but I never took it, the therapist didn't seem too bothered about that though and I was eventually discharged from the program (was just a fortnightly meeting really) and didn't really think of medication following that.

I'd like to say that I gave up smoking through will power but to be absolutely honest it was pure fear that caused me to quit :-S I do think I need some advice though, that's why I joined the forum, think I've just been going stir crazy for quite a while pushing everything to the back of my mind and all that.

Any way, thanks for replying I really appreciate it.

PS: I noticed that when I look at my profile page I can see my Email address, could you tell me - is it just me who can see that or everyone? Don't really want to be having my Email address visible online.

Thanks again   

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
Hi and welcome  *()

Other people shouldnt be abe to see your email address RK, get someone to double check if you can - I think only Admin can see it

Z xxx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
 +_+ RK ~ only admin and yourself can see your email address so no need to worry about anybody else seeing it  $%$ .