Author Topic: Escitalopram / Cipralex  (Read 3466 times)

Wilcocks123

• Karma Group
Escitalopram / Cipralex
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:40 AM »
Good morning to you all...............

I am a new member for this forum - in all honesty I wish that I had found this before...

Very brief background to me - I am 40 years old and a mummy to 2 boys.  I have been suffering with Post Natal Depression for 6 years - We had a very traumatic birth of our first son 6 years ago and was not allowed to hold him for 10 days. (he had to be airlifted for ECMO treatment but thankfully made a full recovery)...............Sorry but I think the background is important and I would love to hear from any mothers that have suffered or are suffering with PND

Having put everything off for 3 years I finally went to the Dr's in 2010 after the birth of our 2nd Son (delivered by C-Section as a precaution) The Dr prescribed me Citalopram 30mg which I took for 3 years.  Back in July of this year I knew that I was slipping so the Dr has given me Escitalopram / Cipralex which for me is working.

I would appreciate anyone who has experienced:

Vivid dreams whilst being on Cipralex
Can you become tolerant to one medication that you need to try something else?

Again thank you for reading and wishing you all a very good day xxx

lostmyway

• Karma Group
Re: Escitalopram / Cipralex
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »
hi wilcocks 123

welcome to the depression forums

I take the same drug but the dosage is low (5mg).  I used to be on 10mg.  The side effects i didn't really care for, when i reduced the dosage, it wasn't pleasant.
I feel the docs could inform you more about that before you start taking the medication, as you need to know things like that.

It works fairly well but i found wanting to lay down and rest all the time on the stronger medication which i didn't like , so i reduced it.  I hope to come off it altogether in the not so distant future.  Vivid dreams?  yeah i can relate to that, increased perspiration, etc headaches if you don't take it, increased irritability etc.  not great really.

Wilcocks123

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:44:43 AM »
thank you so much for responding - you do not know how much I appreciate that!!!

Yes I really want to come off this eventually, but at the moment it is working.....

thank you and wishing you a really good day today xxx

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
Personally speaking, I have been on cipralex for over 6 years now.  I question as to whether I actually need to take them anymore, whether they are effective, how much long I will have to be on them etc.  The longest I went without them was 3 days , it was during the Easter break and i forgot to go to the surgery and pick it up.  Needless to say by third day , the symptoms (withdrawal) were not pleasant in the slightest.  Increased anxiety and irritability were 2 things that came to mind and headaches.  My tolerance to other people diminished to a shadow of its former self.   Apparently according to my GP it takes about 3 weeks or so to actually get off these wretched things.

Strange how they never mention these problems before I actually took them in the first place.
I guess the moral of story is that it's very easy to start taking these meds, its hell to get off the things.  If the stressors in your life are still physically there and are bothering you on a daily basis, then It seriously makes you question the length of time you need to take them.  I get the feeling a lot of docs would not take it themselves due to the aforementioned reasons but that's just my opinion on the matter.

PaulH

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »
My depression is different but my med situation is very similar.

Had been in Citalopram for 5 years and now switched to Escitalopram. 10 years ago I was on Escitalopram and had vivid dreams. On my 4th day this time round and no dreams this time. Hoping I have the same success as you with this change. Will report back if dreams start.

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:53 AM »
My problem with Cipralex is heartburn. I don't think that one becomes tolerant to these meds, it's more a question that they stop working but this happens after years of use!
As for vivid dreams, I do get them but they're not a problem for me, I've got used to them, it's part of the game ...... as long as I feel well during the day!!! ... and function properly!!!
It' the same issue about the length of time of taking meds ..... I have just accepted the fact that the most important thing is that I FEEL WELL!!!

Grace