Author Topic: Will I ever get better?  (Read 1455 times)

gemzx

Will I ever get better?
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »
I first attempted to take my life when I was 17 and was put on anti-d's and talking therapy which I stopped myself after a couple of months as I felt better. Since then I've been on and off anti-d's several times and twice more attempted suicide.

I thought the last time I was on antid-s, after trying 4 kinds, that I had cracked it, I stayed on them for 2 years and then slowly weaned myself off. 4 months later I'm back in the dr's surgery crying my eyes out and slowly uppingthe dose of my fifth anti-d.

Its been four weeks and I feel worse day by day, I'm beginning to think I'll never really get better  "£"

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Will I ever get better?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum and  &*(.

I am on ant-depressnats for the third time.  Each time I wean myself off them it comes back.  My dr this time has said there is no reason that I can't continue taking them for the rest of my life.  The way I think people take medication for other illnesses for a life time.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I've learnt to understand that I'm ill and I need to be made better. I don't know if I'll be on these meds forever but if that's what it takes then that's what I'll have to do.  Don't beat yourself up about taking them &*(

solo

• Karma Group
  • One day I'll discover who I really am
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
Hi there

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here is so nice and welcoming.

I too have been on and off ADs. I am back on them recently after going through a really rocky patch. My doctor has also told me that I shouldn't feel the need to keep coming off them and that it really does not matter if I take them for the rest of my life.

Hope you find this forum some help to you.

Solo x

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
I've ad depression on and offfor 20+ years, sometimes the trigger is a massive life event (like the murder of a friend and her mother), sometimes its just prolonged stress for a few months; like shaz I may now be on a small dose for life

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Ruth

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:36:13 PM »
Hi. I've been on and off meds for 10 years and I'm struggling to decide whether to go back on them. I've tried to stop asking myself whether I will get better because when I'm low the answer is always no and it just makes me worse. Easy to say hard to do. I do know that my only choice is to keep trying when I can. There are probably many people here who can tell you that you do get better. Or at least if you are never "cured" there is a way to live with it. Hopefully you will find some support here. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:45:18 PM by Ruth »

gemzx

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »
Thank you for everybody's comments, you're so kind :)

Having spoken to my doc last week we discussed staying on them for the rest of my life and in my few moments of clarity I know this isn't a bad thing.

I'm just so down at the mo and need the new meds to hurry up and kick in.

I wish I could get hubs to understand, he's part of the just think happy thoughts brigade and life would be so much easier if he got it but I love him to bits and I've got to accept him as much as I need him to accept me.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
I remember wanting my meds to work like a headache tablet and just take it away.  Just kept saying 'when will I get better?'  But of course they do not work like that.  But they did work and now feel nearly 'normal' :)

Its so hard for loved ones to understand.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

sweetpotato

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »
I can totally understand how difficult it is to deal with the fact that you may be one medication fo life. Just after I turned forty I started a medication for pain management. But it took me a leat two years of constant debiliating pain before I accepted the fact that I needed to be on permanent medication. I kept on thinking to myself that I am too young to be on medication. However a few years later I have completely accepted the fact that the medication I am on is required to maintain my quality of life.

It is hard to accepted but it's not a bad thing, just life :-)

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
It is hard for our partners to understand and say the right thing. My OH is in the happy brigade too and it's taken him time to realise I can't just snap out of it.

&*(