Author Topic: I can never justify this, but of course I'm going to try.  (Read 3939 times)

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
I can never justify this, but of course I'm going to try.
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
My mind has finally snapped. I was taken to hospital a couple of days ago as I was vomiting. Shortly after arriving, I decided that I was wasting everyone's time. I was fobbed up told to sleep on it and was moved to another ward the next day. All day, I felt worse, and was continually ignored. I wanted to exercise my right to sign out, was ignored until after the change of shift. After the change over, there was only one doctor in the entire Royal Berkshire Hospital, and then it turns out that a Doctor must witness the signature(!) After midnight, a doctor finally arrived. And totally ignored me. I was told to sit down and shut up as he was busy. I'm sure he was, but if I had been listened to before at a reasonable time, things could have been easier for me to just sign and leave. There is a lot more that I want to argue about, but the unforgiveable thing on my part is that I threatened to smash the fire alarm, to open the ward door. They told me to stop being foolish. I just got angrier, and did it, causing the fire alarm to go off all over the RBH. Strangely enough, I was able to get out, but stranger, the doctor appeared again, and I was able to sign the forms and go home within 5 minutes. So I HAD bothered absolutely everyone in the hospital. The security people kindly got me to the front of the hopital, and I finally got home at about 2 this morning.

And yes, I am a totally stupid &$%+! Who know what problems I have caused?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: I can never justify this, but of course I'm going to try.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:24 AM »
Michael, it is horrible to be treated this by doctors.  Unfortunately the NHS is going downhill and probably isn't helped with too may chiefs on high salaries instead of spending the money where it's needed.  Anyway I'm sure you're not the first person to have reacted due to being treated like this by a doctor (doctors) and I doubt if you will be the last.

How are you feeling now?

Sending lots of cyber  :hug:
Love
Pip

robina

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
yes they let you out very easily didnt they. so what on earth were they keeping you in for then, it doesnt make sence, im sure ur annoyed at the way they treated you. but u had the last laugh, at least u got the attention you deserved, half of these doctors want to stick pills down our throats and shut us up, but they didnt get to do that to you. i think you did the right thing, hahaha

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
I'm sorry you were ill enough to end up in hospital and for the trouble you had getting out. Virtually the same thing happened to me. But the protocol was slightly different. A doctor had to assess you as to your state of mind as well as counter signing papers. I got asked some stupid questions that were really designed for dementia. When I was asked to count backwards from 5 to 1, I have a masters degree in theoretical statistics, I lost it like you did. I told the doctor that I was in hospital not prison and if I chose to leave that was my choice. So I told him I would be going now and that he could keep his papers, and I just walked out. But I fully understand your frustration.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:38:35 PM »
Thank you all for your kindness and understanding. I'm feeling a whole lot better now. I realise that my name is on, the post, but it's still good to see my name and recognise ME, even if I put it there myself. :amen: This may seem a little strange, but when I was moved to the ward, at the same time as another patient, they tried to treat me as him, as they didn't read the notes from the other department. This also happened again later. Nobody seemed to listen, and I've always hated that. Things keep coming back to me about my stay in hospital, but if I keep on, it'll seem like ranting, and not be productive. Many of the staff were kind and considerate. I'm not proud of my actions. I was worried that my actions might have triggered an attempt to section me, but I don't think that they considered it worthwhile. Thank YOU all on this site for listening to me, and responding. Best wishes to everyone. I hope that you are well.  :bye: Michael.

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »
hope your well too Michael!! 
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »
Thanks Craig  :happy0158: . I'm still more than a little embarrassed by my actions, but recently I've heard that a lot of problems exist because of the over use of antibiotics, and, as the nurse was trying to insist that I had an intravenous drip, even though I wasn't the person who was actually supposed to be taking them, I can see that it seems to be common practice. I'm glad that I managed to get out without being fed all sorts of things. And all it took was breaking the glass on the fire alarm! I had always trusted the medical profession implicitly before, as they had kept me alive at various points in my life, but it had always been obvious that they were actually listening to me, but now, I find it very difficult to trust them at all. Thank you and the others for considering my side of what happened.  :bye:

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 01:13:47 AM »
can completely understand with what you witnessed. its shocking really and no wonder the nhs has been under the spotlight for years now. hopefully it gets better sooner rather than later!

don't worry about being embarrassed it happens to the best of us!

hopefully not too often lol
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”