Author Topic: 5 Weeks To Psychiatrist Appointment  (Read 456 times)

TomCrick

• Karma Group
5 Weeks To Psychiatrist Appointment
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
Hi Folks,

As per the topic title, I received an appointment today to see a psychiatrist 'urgently,' and it's 5 weeks from now. I'm really upset because when I went to my GP initially, I was an absolute wreck, thinking suicidal things, crying, all the baddies. And in total, it'll be about 8 weeks from then until I finally get some proper help. I don't know how this time scale compares with others, so please forgive me if others have had to wait longer, but from where I'm standing - with a job to defend and a salary that'll now be halved due to the amount of time off I'll have to take until my appointment - it feels properly f!$%*" up.

The mad(der) bit is that I'm currently feeling okay. Okay, not necessarily well enough to function as I'd like, but I've been walking the dogs, seeing a few people, watching the Olympics, working out, eating well and sleeping (if not well, at least I've been sleeping). The limbo continues.

I'm even thinking of trying to see someone privately, though I have no idea as to how I'd go about arranging that and doubt I have the funds to cover such an appointment.

My next struggle is work. They've been great, but they'll be pissed off (even pissed off and on my side) that I won't get to see anyone for over a month. I spoke to our Big Cheese yesterday and he said, 'however long it takes, TC, is fine. I'd be upset if you came back before you were ready,' but when I've got that much grace and support on my side, I just wish I could repay it with a timely appointment; I feel like I'm letting them down big style  &*&

Cheers for reading

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: 5 Weeks To Psychiatrist Appointment
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:32:25 PM »
I do feel for you, I guess some of it comes down to area.  I don't know how long others have waited for Psychiatrist appointments. I know I was very, very lucky, but a lot of that was down to my fab GP who hassled after I'd been waiting for an appt for 1 week.

Going back to work early would possibly do you more harm than good, even though it's hard to 'wait it out'

Xxx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: 5 Weeks To Psychiatrist Appointment
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
Feel for you. I had to wait the same length of time. Its crazy we need help now not weeks away. S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.