Author Topic: Coming off anti-depressants- how to survive?  (Read 2600 times)

KDO23

Coming off anti-depressants- how to survive?
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »
Hi all,

Just joined today. I  was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on coming off (and staying off anti-depressants)as I would really like to try and deal with my depression without them. But I'm just not sure how to go about this. I  have been off them for a week or so now and I have noticed that my moods are erratic at times and  I seem to burst into tears for no reason. I am prepared to deal with this if there is some hope that my moods will level.
Thanks  
 :-\

Ezel

Re: Coming off anti-depressants- how to survive?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:33:48 PM »
With the poll did you mean the options to mean 1) stay on and 2) come off?

When you came off the anti depressants did you gradually come off them or did you just stop taking them?     

KDO23

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
Hi, I think I've made the mistake and not meant to make this message a poll. It was just meant to appear as a general message. Sorry for the confusion.

Ezel

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »
Sorted it out for you  %^&

kayjay

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
Hi KDO23
I guess my first piece of advice would be to involve your doctor. Have you asked their advice? It's good that you feel you want to try and tackle your depression without meds, but sometimes it's not a bad thing to use them for a bit. It could be that your feeling like you can do without the meds could be caused by the medication working for you!
If you both decide to try coming off them, your doctor will probably bring you off them gradually. Stopped them cold turkey isn't the greatest idea! It can mess with your moods, depending on where you were before and the severity of your depression, this can be quite dangerous for some people!
Saying all that, if you definately want to give them up I'd gradually reduce them over a few weeks. You should avoid any emotional or physical side effects then.
Best wishes,
KJ

Northern Monkey

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
I feel the best thing to do when coming of meds is to keep yourself active - do lots of exercise which help with endorphines, eat healthy and avoid alcohol.

I'm certain your doctor will have already given you this advice; but it really does work.