Author Topic: how to best go about talking to your doctor?  (Read 3163 times)

tearstoshed

how to best go about talking to your doctor?
« on: March 02, 2013, 11:35:38 AM »
Hi,
I've been feeling 'depressed' for a very long time, due to rape and sexual assault on different occasions, parent issues, etc, I've tried to commit suicide many times and twice recently, obviously I'm fine, but last year when the last sexual assault happened, I was talking to a councillor and my teacher seperately and they both advised talking to a doctor about depression, this made me really anxious and I kept chickening out and putting it on hold, so now after the last suicide attempt, I want to speak to a doctor, but I don't know what to do, how do I talk about it, what if she thinks I'm lying :'(
Btw I'm 20 so I can go alone or with my bf, he knows a lot about it

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: how to best go about talking to your doctor?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
My advice is to take your boyfriend with you for support. I am sure your Dr will not think you are lying. You have been through traumatic events in your life and I so feel for you. Your Dr would probably advise some appropriate counselling as well as possibly medication.

I know its scary but I think you would benefit from seeing your Dr.

S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Catbrian

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:03:13 PM »
I doubt the GP will think you are lying.  I'm sure most people suffering depression have had problems explaining it to the Doc, so my guess is that he/she will be used to it.  I am also sure the GP will take the leading role by asking questions, so there's little point worrying what should you say.  Taking your b/f sounds like a good idea.

Good luck

musicken

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »
I don't know if it's an option for you, but there's been a couple of times that I've gone to my local A&E to see the Mental Health team out of hours.  it might be one way to start the ball rolling, as they'll usually write to your GP (well they did mine...)
If you have support from your BF, then that's a positive thing and I do think it would be a good idea to bring him with you.  the first step is always hard.
best of luck!

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:26:33 PM »
the mental health team should write to your gp if you ask them to, having your boyfriend there for support is a very good idea
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »
I think taking your b/f sounds like a good idea and a good support. If you were struggling he could explain for you.

I think our GPs see depression a lot, I go into my GP and there is a filing tray marked with 'depression' on it.
Just remember there is nothing wrong with asking for some help and I'm sure your GP will not think you are lying.

I wonder if writing things down would help?
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

smokey

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 09:53:41 PM »
I agree leo, I find writing it all down before I go helps as I worry that I won't know what to say when I get there.