Author Topic: Escitalopram- do I need to change?  (Read 3393 times)

FreyaD

• Karma Group
Escitalopram- do I need to change?
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
Hey guys

Hope you're all well :)

I started off taking citalopram in January last year but only lasted 2 weeks due to feel awful and not sleeping, I was then put onto mirtazapine which made me sleep! It worked well for a bit, then I fell apart again in November.

In January I was referred to a psychiatrist who put me on escitalopram and a weeks worth of zopliclone. I've been on escitalopram for 4 weeks now, but have seen very little improvement, if any, and I have been sleeping dreadfully :( I'm still self harming, possibly even more, and have been so grumpy that I've been incredibly hard to work with (I need to work as it gets me out the house where things would be a whole lot worse!)

I'm not sure this is the right medicine for me- would people suggest sticking it out a bit longer? Has anyone here had escitalopram?

I don't know what to do :( I've also been really ill with colds/ coughs/ chest infections and goodness knows what else for the last 5 weeks which I don't think has really helped the situation..

Thanks

Catbrian

Re: Escitalopram- do I need to change?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
I have only ever heard of Citalopram, never escitalopram.  All antidepressants are more or less the same as far as time scale goes and I think if you want to give it a chance, you would need to be taking it for at least 8 weeks, probably more like 12 plus.  If you've been ill, it might take a little longer.

I take Mirtazapine and Quetiapine.  It took at least 4-6 months to really have any improvement.  However, I have always been lucky with side effects.  If I was having a hard time on meds, I'm not so sure I would be very tolerant.

It's always best to talk it over with the Psychiatrist or GP

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
I was of the understanding that Escitalopram was a similar anti-depressant to Citalopram (but I could be wrong). Being poorly with colds etc cannot of helped. I agree with Cat I think you need to give it time and then the improvement is normally very gradual. If you are concerned a chat with your Dr would be best.

S x x x x 

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

FreyaD

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »
Yea, I believe they are similar which is why I wasn't so keen going on it in the first place. I've always needed a lot of sleep so having not slept for 3 weeks I am not a very nice person at all!!

But because I didn't stick it out on citalopram they wanted to try me on escitalopram :(

I've just been stuck in a very lonely world and need a good cry and cuddle and someone who understands, so fed up with everything at the moment

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
 %^% for you. Having no sleep is horrible. Maybe you could ask your Dr for something to help you sleep, even just short term may get you back into a good sleep pattern.

S x x x x

FreyaD

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
I think I may possibly have acid reflux which just happened to start about a week after I started on escitalopram- could this have caused it? Anyone else had this problem?
xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
Yes I have the same but I am on a different antidepressant to you.  Mention it to your Dr when you go next, I have some tablets to help from my Dr.

S x x x x

FreyaD

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »
Awesome, thanks- I'm going on Tuesday, fed up of not being able to eat without coughing! Last time I went I was told there was nothing wrong with me :/ I think the omepr... whatever it is interacts badly with escitalopram so hopefully they'll be able to work something out!
xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Its Omeprazole I take, but I am sure there will be something else you can take in place of it if you ask.  I also felt queasy when I was hungry, but the tablets have helped that as well.

S x x x x