Author Topic: My Predicament  (Read 3345 times)

Richb87

My Predicament
« on: June 13, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
Hi everyone,

this is my first post here and I'm after some advice from some people who may be in or have seen my predicament.

I'm in my 20's and I have been ,Silently, suffering from Depression for around 3years. It started with a break down at work around 3.5years ago,
I had worked really hard for 6/7years to get to the position I had always wanted and both me and my wife had really good careers everything looked peachy.

We both knew we wanted a child but not at this time as we wanted to enjoy ourselves a little first, maybe travel a bit, however we ended up conceiving our first child which we were really happy about, 2 months before she was due to be born I was made redundant from work which meant that after the birth and recovery of my wife she returned to work full time and I became the main carer of our child ( Grace.).

I found myself feeling very alone Graces routine was my priority at the time so very rarely ventured out, during this time over the years I have lost any bond I may have had with most of my friends, family have moved away and I can not drive, I have tried toddler groups but I find the other Mothers really look down on me and its just uncomfortable. I have no self esteem any more and I find it very uncomfortable being in public in general. I find myself wasting the days away although I know I have things to do and I could be doing things with my Daughter.

My wife also has anxiety issues herself so I don't like to burden her with my problems and it tends to get her wound up as she doesn't deal with uncertainty very well at all.
I am taking anti depressants and have made an appointment with a Therapist but my main concern is that I am not coping at work I have taken on a Night shift job at a local supermarket working only 2 nights a week ( 10hrs.) going from a managerial position to becoming a carer / shelf stacker practically over night has really knocked me down and I literally feel like my stomach is in my throat  before I go in, once there I'm useless simple tasks are taking me ages and I find I just zone out and my mind goes cloudy (cant concentrate etc.) when my colleagues / manager mention my performance I get angry in frustration as I don't want them to know my condition.
The supermarket I work at, I know the second I mention the word depression they will be gunning for me, the management are not the understanding types and I don't know if I have the energy / will to fight them.

I feel I really want to leave and that it would be best for me and my family as I would be a lot more relaxed at home, I've taken 3 weeks signed off now and all I can think about is having to go back . I'm worried that if I leave I'll be letting my family down in terms of money, so I wanted to know if you guys/gals knew of any help available we get basic benefits at the moment as my wife earns 18.5k and of course we have Grace.

I make myself laugh when I look at my life, I have a lovely wife, healthy child, roof over my head and dog the whole package but I still feel alone and miserable most of the time I'm extremely forgetful and seem to spend most of my life in a daze. I really want to get better and I'm hopeful this will just be a phase in life for me that will pass in time.

thank you all for taking the time to read this, I know its a long one, and I really appreciate any comments I may receive, it's been great to find this site and see that I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Richard

Grace

• Global Moderator
Re: My Predicament
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
Hello Richard and welcome to this forum!
Depression can cause a lot of suffering and I understand your reluctancy to go back to work. Have you see your GP lately as I think that your depression needs to be checked. Lack of concentration and having difficulty in public places may ring a bell.
I have been suffering from depression for many years and I know its ups and downs. However if you have the right medication it can help you to go ahead with your life ..... knowing that you often have to check your symptoms in order not to let them interfere with your performance.
Do you manage to sleep well? .... my pdoc continually asks me this question and he would make sure I'm getting a god night's sleep in order to be ready to face my workload. You are now working on shift .... but when you go back home are you able to make up for the night's sleep?
Have a good week-end!
Grace

Richb87

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:51:44 AM »
I would usually get around 4Hours sleep after a shift but to be honest I don't believe this has much to do with how I'm feeling. The people I work with are so complacent and miserable all the time and I just feel I don't need the negativity around me at the moment and I could quite easily blow up at one of them at the moment.  :bash:

Failing at such simple tasks is really knocking what self esteem I do have left and the fear of uncertainty of my family's situation if I leave is strangulating me.
personally I know that if I stay there I'm not going to make any improvement mentally, I guess I'll just have to take a leap of faith and get through it. I am looking for alternative work but there isn't a lot in my area that I'm qualified for, not going to give up on that though.

Thanks for your reply Grace and hope you have a pleasant week-end too
Richard

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
Hello again Richard!

I just mentioned sleep as lack of it makes me feel more anxious, on edge and irritable. So it makes it more difficult to confront a problem.
Thank you for your wishes! Do know that his is a friendly forum and many of us who understand and empathise!

Grace