Author Topic: New to antidepressants, would like some help or advice.  (Read 5700 times)

kenmia92

• Karma Group
New to antidepressants, would like some help or advice.
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »
Hello, I've recently been diagnosed with depression, currently on the waiting list for therapy. I've also been advised to take an antidepressant, sertraline. But my parents aren't too happy with me taking anything. They are soo unhappy that they have tried many times to change my mind about taking them. My mum thinks that it will change me as a person, that it will make me addicted (even though the doctor has told her otherwise), she keeps saying that I'm only 20, she doesn't want me to be reliant on any meds.

Could someone thats been on them tell be about their experience? Anything will help me!

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: New to antidepressants, would like some help or advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
Taking the meds will help you get through this depressive episode. You are also having therapy so this will help also.  Most people find that after time they can stop the meds. (with your drs advice on how to slowly stop them). I am sure your Dr would not have prescribed them unless they thought they would help. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

plumb

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
Your 20 ? you dont need your parents permission to take a prescription drug or anything come to think of it.  They are showing ignorance and too much control. Maybe thats your issue.

Stacey

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »
I think you need to have a think about it and decide what is best for you. Your parents obviously care for you but people are coming off meds everyday. Everyone is different though. Although it might seem like a long process it will eventually be worth it if you can find your happy place again xx

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:44:06 PM »
Maybe, I've not started taking them, just so I can find someone whos possibly been on them and come out shining. I want to prove to my parents that its not some drug that will make me into a crack addict, but something that will help.

I would really really appreciate it if someone could tell me their story maybe?

Also thank you for all your posts, atleast I can get some support from here.

Stacey

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »
I don't think your doctor would prescribe something that would have that effect. Obviously they have side effects but they should help you in the long run. Maybe do some research on your tablets first.

Okay, I have been on Fluoxetine for 16 months and at first I found them really useless because they took some time to kick in as such. Approximately 4-6 weeks in and I really noticed a change. Some things were still a big struggle and I was lathargic but somehow managed to do what the doctor told me to do to help myself. I think you just need to take it slow and see how things go. If you have anymore questions ask away. xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
I have not had the med you have been prescribed. But I am on Duloxetine and I have had CBT and counselling. I have been told I will need to take my meds for a long time. But each of us are different and many people take meds and come off them and are well. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
I would like to know if anyone has had a bad experience with any meds?

Thanks again :) xxx
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:39:16 PM by kenmia92 »

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:53:06 AM »
If it is any help, I have been on and off anti depressants since I was 14 , I am now 24.

The reason being I have recurring bouts of depression.

The decision is entirely yours, don't be swayed by other people or family. Only you know exactly how you are feeling.

Good luck x
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
Thank you, you're right... Can I ask, in the inbetween times of taking your meds were there any side effects?

xx

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
No, I had no side effects inbetween taking the meds.

While on meds I only experienced side effects if I forgot to take my tablets apart from the one I'm on just now.

For me though, personally, it was worth a few side effects to get better.x
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »
Ah okies :) its good to know... I think its best if I start with my meds, rather than wait for nothing... Thank you everyone for all your help! If anyone can give me any more info, although you've all given me a lot already :)

Again thank you guys! Xxx

Catbrian

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »
Anti-depressants usually take weeks before you start feeling any benefit.  I have always found it is better to take the medication immediately before bed time.  This way, any drowsy effect you might feel when you first start using them, wont affect your day to day activities.  After about a week or two usage, it's important never to just decide to give up and suddenly stop.  They are not addictive, but can play havoc with the chemicals in our brain if we stop suddenly; it's always best to keep in touch with your GP and trust his guidance.

Anti-depressants react differently for each individual, it's difficult to be specific about possible side effects.  Some people, like me, have almost no side effects from any of these meds.  The patient leaflet that comes with your medication is good to read and there will be loads of results if you type 'Sertraline' into a Google search.

You're Mum is right in one sense.... yes, they might change you.... but, for the better.  Hopefully, combined with therapy, you will start to feel an improvement in your mood in the coming weeks.  Check in with the people on this Forum when you need any advice or support 

Good luck $%$

kenmia92

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:29 PM »
Thank you for your post :)

I've done my reasearch, just wanted a real life experiance..

I've been taking the meds for 2 days... Apart from a few side effects like nausia headaches and some drowsiness, I found that my second day was better, well atleast the side effects have eased up... But I thinks its too early to tell if the side effects were one offs..

I guess only with  time I will get better

Xxx

plumb

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:24 AM »
Good chance what you perceive as side effects at the very beginning may well be purely psychological as you feel relief that they are going to help as well as nerves as to how they may effect you and disbelief that you are taking a mind  altering drug.
Some people say its a cop out taking anti depressants but its not. Its a difficult and brave decision to make and a step in the right direction.
What bugged me at the beginning was how many people asking how long i would be taking them for. My answer was and is "as long as want to". Its my thing, my decision, my business.