Author Topic: Pregabalin  (Read 2886 times)

Got

• Karma Group
Pregabalin
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
Think I might ask for pregabalin today, as I am suffer from some kind of social anxiety, I am finding it hard to talk to people, go into shops, have conversations. I have a constant anxiety that is stopping me from being proactive and due to my job this is unacceptable.

Are there side affects to this drug such a drowsiness?

Steve X

Catbrian

Re: Pregabalin
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »
Hi Steve...  Not such a bad idea.  I've been using Pregabalin these last few weeks for nerve pain.  Not sure what it's doin for the pain, but it's had a positive affect on my anxiety and paranoia.  There's a few side effects but I've not been experiencing any.  I know it normally wont be prescribed to anyone with a history of alcohol or drug addiction and I can understand why.  1 x 75mg has little effect,  2 x 75mg feels like a 5-10mg of diazepam and 3 x 75mg feels like you've had a good drink.  For me, that wasn't good, so I stick with 1 or 2.

Good luck

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Hmmm, I need my wits about me, I can't be dopey or anything.

I will ask about it and if he agrees (which he possibly won't) I shall give it a go.

Thanks

Catbrian

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
Gabapentin apparently came after Pregabalin and is less powerful but still effective.  The other thing that discourages Doc's is Pregabalin is very expensive.

When is your appointment?

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »
Appointment was yesterday, he kind of left it up to me, I decided against it, I have some valium to take for the project panel. I handle valium well and can take doses as high as 80 mg without much problem.  I have been given an SSRI to help me deal with anxiety.

Catbrian

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »
Well, that sounds positive, Steve.  You most definitely need something for whenever times get particularly hairy.  I think it's wise to leave the Pregabalin alone.  By what I read, it does appear to carry elements of addiction with complications coming off.  What is it that you don't like about mood stabilisers?

When is the project panel?

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »
I am on a mood stabliser...valproic acid. It does work well to be honest. I am on the mirtazapine which does little but does help me sleep, the plan is to come of this and try the ssri...hopefully I will still sleep.

Yes, from what I've read pregabalin has the potential to be addictive, even if physiologically it does not form dependency easily, psychologically it can be.

I fly to the meeting next week I think...that is if I am definitely going, I may not yet.

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
Why might you not go to the meeting?  Because of your depression?

When I came off Citalopram, it really played havoc with my sleep pattern, even after starting other meds.   I took a 10mg every now and than for many weeks.  The SSRI's are worth a try, anything to give you that wee kick start will be ideal.  If I were in your position, I'd try every last pill the Doc was willing to prescribe.  Who knows, maybe something will come along that works.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
I used to take citalopram for quite a while. I am not particularly excited about talking the new medication to be honest but I will see how it pans out. The depression is a serious issue and perhaps it will work. I have a track record of responding abnormally to medication and I have earned the nickname 'atypical' from my psychiatrist.

In terms of meeting i'd like to keep discussion in private section.

Catbrian

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »
I also respond differently with meds; Diazepam made me high and wanting to conquer the world, amphetamines chill me out and give great focus... then there's Quetiapine; I was riding high for weeks.  Now Mirtazapine seems to cause insomnia like I've never experienced before.  My donut of a Psychiatrist said he's never heard of it!