Author Topic: Work!  (Read 1624 times)

bookletters

• Karma Group
Work!
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
Like many people with depression, my professional career has been affected because of the illness, namely because of needing time off which many companies seem not to like very much, especially if you have a mental illness rather than something colleagues can see like a broken leg!
Anyway, my solution to keep money coming in and not feel totally useless has been to go self employed in addition to my main job.
(You don't have to pay National Insurance contributions on your self employed income if you prefer to keep paying it via your main job, you are entitled to a few grands -can't remember the exact figure- tax free every year).
All you have to do is phone HMRC and say you'd like to become self employed. They will then discuss with you how much you are likely to earn every year, whether you want to pay national insurance on this or not and once a year they will send you a self employment self assessment form in addition to your usual one.
Things you can do if you are self employed:
- mystery shopping (register with as many companies as possible then choose your visits, complete them and get paid!)
- anything you are good at (typing, computers, translating, graphic design, accounting, audio typing....), pick the jobs you would like to complete on peopleperhour or freelancer
- start your online business (selling on ebay / etsy....)
- pet sitting or any other activity you can think of!!
I don't know how I have managed to keep my online business going with the depression being really bad at times but all I know is when I would never have been able to do my main job, being self employed (and able to work a little bit when my mood picked up at night etc) has really been an excellent way to making a little bit of money here and there.
Hope this helps, maybe some of you are already self employed?

turquoise

• Karma Group
Re: Work!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »
Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy, I only work two evenings a week but am thinking of my future when no longer a carer for my mum and looking for ways to keep the wolf from the door.  I love the idea of mystery shopper it sounds like fun but havent a clue how to go about it.  Could you pm me some links to have a look at thanks Tx

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
Sure Turquoise, I will do a bit later x

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:04 PM »
Can't you take annual leave (holidays)    If you can't I suggest if you are going to go Self employed Make sure you have the work available to you    Also make sure you are not going to be putting any extra stress on to yourself  ;)
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
Can't take annual leave with my job ;)
You are right about the stress though.

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:32:34 AM »
I started a small business before my depression got really bad.

In reality I have probably took too much on board, which has got me here in the first place.

However, I am booked into to two Xmas fairs to try and sell my wares. If nothing else it's a challenge, something to do and hopefully a little income.
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »
Sounds good Leo!
You are right about not taking too much on!