Author Topic: A new hello  (Read 2453 times)

Toronaga

A new hello
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
Hi

Thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself..well at least give you my background and some thoughts on a few of the posts I have read in this forum - which I stumbled upon whilst "researching" my depression. Please do not see this post as preaching or criticism, just my views.

One day I over reacted at work and was in a bit of trouble. Someone advised me to see my doctor, just to chat. In someways it was the best thing I ever did.

Four years later after a nervous breakdown, a number of suicide attempts, CBT and Counselling I have been diagnosed with recurrent major depression and generalised anxiety. This I now know was brought on, not by my work, but by abuse I suffered in childhood.

I have tried to go back to work, only for my depression to return. I am no longer working and have not stepped into my office for over 14 months. I am in the process of being medically retired ( a benefit of being public sector, private sector I would have been out long ago). Fortunately, many years ago I took out an Income Protection Policy which is assisting financially, as my work no longer pay me money. I am reduced from a hard working, successful, healthy male to a seriously ill wreck, who sometimes cannot even be bothered to wash and thinks of suicide daily.

I am lucky in that my wife has been extremely loving and understanding. Also the NHS postcode lottery means that in general I have received good support from the health professionals (within reason).

Reading this forum has made me smile, because so much of what people have written is familiar, the same worries, the same problems. This reminds me that what is occurring is not real, just a symptom of my illness.  Although things are black at times my advice to anyone who has been diagnosed and is looking for answers is to be honest. Remember you are seriously ill and need to take care of yourself, as best as your situation allows. Accepting this is the first step. Do not sit around awaiting a phone call from the mental health team to solve your problems or hoping things will change at work when a new boss takes over. At the end of the day NO ONE will be able to help you if you do not want to make the effort yourself, even if we are only talking about very small changes, like giving up coffee or getting some fresh air at lunch time. I appreciate some people will be saying " thats easy for him to say, harder in practise" I accept that, all I am saying is try to make small changes, after all what have you to lose, how could things get any worse. You will be surprised by what differences over time small things can make.  In my experience exercise, even if it is a shuffle around the garden, works as does meditation. These small, free and easily available things have saved my life, not drugs or doctors. Recently, I have aquired a small dog, which has forced me out on days when I didnot feel like it. The dog takes advantage of my insomnia, if you do not sleep whats the problem in standing in the garden with a puppy at three in the morning!

I have made this post in the hope that someone reads what I have said and realises they are not alone in their situation or thoughts. They are part of your illness and not unique to you. My situation is very serious. In many ways I have reached bottom, but, I would not change a thing and count myself lucky I have had the chance to realise what is important in life. Remember its not life thats the problem but how you view it.

Good luck

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: A new hello
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
It's good to read a positive story. 

With both myself and my husband have suffered with depression for many years.  For us it's different times of year and at different times of the year so one can support the other at bad times.  It has been easier for my husband to get support such as through MIND a few years ago.  For me it has been harder as one the causes is specific and hard to get the support I need.  I did have counselling in late 2004 / 2005 but the counsellor was clueless and I got far more support online and mostly from forums.  I still have contact with a number of people as we are on facebook so when I have a bad day I know I can reach out to them.     

Toronaga

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »
Hi Pip,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I gave a too positive impression, that was not my intention! Objectively my life is pretty bad. I just wanted to people that realise that Depression is a serious illness, attitude goes along way but small steps make a large difference

I too currently recieve counselling, based around mindfulness.  My counselling sadly is ending soon and I will be on my own. Obtaining counselling took a long time, especially when the NHS largely want to keep referring for CBT and I was pushed from pillar to post. That said I have found my NHS experience to be largely positive, as long as you remain realistic.I have tried various tablets, which make little difference - unless you want to be a zombie.

My illness will be with me for the rest of my life, I have to just manage it as best I can. My advice to anyone is download free meditation Apps or obtain any books by Dr Mark Williams on Mindfulness, these come with meditation CDs. Whats the worst that could happen...

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I gave a too positive impression, that was not my intention!

No need to apologise as it is a good post which was exactly what I needed as I was a bit down in the dumps although I have had a good weekend.  It wasn't depression related for a change.  My husband and I had been round our neighbour's for a coffee and when we left it was very dark and I forgot about on step which I tripped up and fell.  Since then my left knew has been a bit stiff, achy and sore.   

Yes I know what you mean about counselling and the NHS.  When I was finally diagnosed with depression my doctor put me on the waiting list.  I completely forgot about it until about 7 months later, we had moved and the people who moved into the house we had lived in forwarded it to us.  This was long after the so called counselling I had had before. I let the counsellor know that I couldn't travel that far so had to restart again.

The new doctor we had didn't believe in depression and wouldn't prescribe it as a rule but as I was already on them she did for a couple of months.  I came off it through my own choice as it made me feel like a zombie.  Anyway this doctor said that the surgery didn't do referrals for counselling so my option was Relate.  I was a bit sharp with her because I already knew that Relate couldn't help as we had already approached them.  Part of my depression is adoption related so were told they weren't geared up for that type of counselling.

Must admit I like it when books, cds, etc are recommended.  I find relaxation cds help me.