Author Topic: wish I could cry....  (Read 5365 times)

Cinderella

• Karma Group
Re: wish I could cry....
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
Hi. My parents have always been great to me. I'm lucky - I'm 54 and they are still alive. But they just never have understood crying. I remember when my father's Mum was buried. Standing near the grave he looked lost, I was crying so I tried to give him a hug, but he avoided me, backed off and put his hand out to shake my hand! (So, once again I make it all about me!) Crying can help with so much, when the time is right. Man, woman or child, all need to cry at times. Overmedication blocks it for me some times, so I stop the meds for a while, but then when I find I'm crying too much and at silly things I start the meds again. I shouldn't do this I know, but I need to feel that I CAN feel.

I would never advise anyone to stop medication but it seems to keep me...sane? Does this make sense?

I know what you mean. I think that parents get shocked when their own child shows emoation in a very vulnerable moment. I had a moment like that with my father, too and won't forget how frightened he looked, when I offered my help, a hug and comfort.
I sometimes wonder about how it feels when my own children do that and don't ever want to push them away.

I also agree with you when it comes to medication. It is the most confusing thing. Life with depression is confusing, and the role of medication even more..... what it does to the body..... the different opinions people have on it..... etc. I guess it is so, because the body, soul is a very unique creation and it is never totally straight forward.

I too have been on medication now for 3 1/2 months and really totally confused about its effect. Keep reading that only 40 - 50 % of people taking Antidepressants really benefit from it and 20 - 30% don't see a difference. %$£

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 10:22:43 PM »
Thanks very much for hearing me Cinderella.

Pablo

• Karma Group
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »
lol...

but you need to remember, well you probably don't know, I forgot I was new around here...

I am a male, from Glasgow in Scotland.... we are not allowed to cry...  people get hurt for that kind of thing growing up around here!!! lol

we get pre programmed to be 'hard' and not to show any emotion... I'm guessing now it works!!!  £*$

>:D

I'm not from Glasgow, but it's the same in Liverpool, boys/men don't cry, it's a sign of weakness, you MUST be tough.

This is what we live up to for some daft reason!!!

Pablo

• Karma Group
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
lol...

but you need to remember, well you probably don't know, I forgot I was new around here...

I am a male, from Glasgow in Scotland.... we are not allowed to cry...  people get hurt for that kind of thing growing up around here!!! lol

we get pre programmed to be 'hard' and not to show any emotion... I'm guessing now it works!!!  £*$

>:D

I'm not from Glasgow, but it's the same in Liverpool, boys/men don't cry, it's a sign of weakness, you MUST be tough.

This is what we live up to for some daft reason!!!

Cinderella

• Karma Group
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
I guess, whether it is being a boy or a girl, the fear is that ONE WOULD NEVER STOP CRYING once you start and that idea makes you not cry at all, which is just as bad.

I have had (and I am female) times I can remember, where I was drawn into this sea of emotion, full of sadness, but it is pretty illogical, because at some point I did make my way out of this intense sadness.
I think it is the intensity we fear, when we avoid to cry.

With boys and crying, I can say that my son cries and so does my husband, although he can only manage that when he had a few to drink.
There is this episode in the friends sitcom, when Ross is confronted with his male babysitter. Rachel can very easily deal with a man looking after her baby daughter, but Ross is highly competitive and later admits to the male babysitter that his father did not show him enough love.
We expect men to be tough and if you are not tough all the time, then critizism is an easy solution. Not to forget the soldiers fighting in warzones. Imagine they would cry everytime they had to attack or kill their enemy? It wouldn't work. This is why there are so many soldiers, who now openly say that war is hell and when they come back from serving as a soldier are pretty traumatised by it.

But I think emotions are generally feared, whether you are a man or a woman.

Ezel

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
My dad doesn't show his emotions but he can't stand it if I cry as he feels he should protect me and keep me safe from the negative side of life.