Author Topic: Change of meds ??  (Read 7317 times)

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
Change of meds ??
« on: October 18, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »
got the doctors tomorrow  and I'm querying asking her to change my medication ,  started off at 20 fluoxetine  still was not working and increased to 60mg fluoxetine over time been on for the past month or so,    They just don't seem to be working for me.

As expected I get quite anxious and I clam up  anyone have any suggestions on possible med changes,  I heard citalopram can be quite good,   I know every one is different   But I'm kinda stuck !!.

Feel as if I'm never away from the doctor. Every second Friday   Asking her for something to help me with my problems, the meds she gives don't work to full effect  just feel as if I come across needy.  If anyone understands
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Change of meds ??
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »
Oh I understand. I was also at the dr's often crying and wanting help to get better. I was on Citalopram. I got changed to Duloxetine. Which has been great for me. You should not have to feel like this. There are many different meds to try. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
Same of me Mat!
I was on Citalopram, got changed to venlafaxin. I too felt needy and constantly at the doctors'.
So many different AD to try, it's just a question of finding the right one....

Catbrian

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
Trouble is GP's are reluctant to change AD's and tend to persuade us to stick with them.  From experience, I would say you really need to give the higher dose about 3 months.  While they can sometimes make us feel good in the beginning, the real purpose of raising certain chemicals in the brain, do take longer.

In saying all  that, Mat, GP's often think they know it all, but very often AD's are not their strong point.  I think too many of us get caught up in months, even years, taking the same AD, but getting very little from it.  In my case, I waited 13 yrs before I found something that did work and, believe me, when it works, you know about it.  It's worth bearing in mind, however, if I had followed my own instinct, I would have insisted in changing them sooner.  So, at the end of the day, it's your life, your recovery.  If you feel you want to try something new, then insist on it.  I know that's difficult when we're feeling at our most vulnerable.  Maybe if you don't feel you can talk to the GP, ask the Doc to refer you to the local Psychiatrist and Mental Health Team.  They are best placed to assist you with the right medication and support

Good luck

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
I totally agree, I too was make to stick to citalopram for way too long! Had I followed my own instinct I too would have stop taking them a lot sooner!
Be firm with the doc and ask for a referral if they won't listen.

mat

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Been to the doctors  coming of fluoxetine  so not to take any anti depressants for 6 days (bit worried)  and to go back next Friday to get a prescription for citalopram.

Also bit disappointed because he doctor challenged me on something that I said to my therapist on Monday (trying to take my own life), obviously I understand that they need to share information  but that's now on my medical notes  and I kinda feel pissed off about it to be honest ,  I told her that in confidence.
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »
I can understand why you would feel cheesed off about that Mat but they only want to keep you safe and try to help. They know it's the illness making you think like that so to them it will just be a case of "medication not adequate as considered taking his own life". In the same way as if you had pneumonia they would have said "pain in the left lung, not breathing well, change of medication".

Catbrian

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
I think it will be positive in the long run.  However, I'm a bit unsure why the GP would tell you to suddenly stop taking Fluoxitine for 6 days.  How long were you on Fluoxitine? 

I was recently told to come of 5-6yrs use of Citalopram, within a 3 week period.  It was a challenge, but I did wonder if it might have been easier doing it quickly, like you've been advised.

All said, I think it's a positive move.  Good luck.  I'll watch our for your updates

mat

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »
Around 6 months or so been on fluoxetine.   

Wondering if there is any side effects on coming off them ? 
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
I don't understand why your GP wants you to stop for 6 days either.... I crossed over from citalopram to venlafaxin but cutting dose of citalopram in half and starting low dose of venlafaxin.
Some GPs are terrible making you go cold turkey like that, can they not do a crossover???
You may get side effects but not necessarily.... if you do and feel crap, we'll be here for you! Big hug xx *()

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:27 PM »
I have never taken this medication so I cannot offer any advice. Normally the dr's want you to wean off antidepressants. But if you have any worries maybe you can speak to your Dr to put your mind at ease. S x x x x

mat

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
Thanks all   ;)

It was a diff doc my usual one was on holiday back next fri, I might phone the surgery on Monday about this kinda worried now about just stopping them .

BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »
Did not mean to frighten you Matt. When I changed it was through the psychiatric Dr at our local mental health dept. I changed from Citalopram (which was not working for me) He stopped the Citalopram and I went straight onto duloxetine but he gave me Clonazepam to take to help during the change over. Fuloxetine may be different as I have said I have never taken it. S x x x x 

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I thought if both are in the same group (fluoxetine = prozac yeah? So it's an SSRI like citalopram) you don't need to interrupt it....
What dose were you on?
If you're worried about tonight, what I would do is keeping taking it, then ask to see a different doc on Monday who can give you sleeping pills to make you comfortable and ask to do a cross over like I did....

mat

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
Was on 60mg

You haven't worried me  %^%.  Don't worry

Just after reading some things online about this. I wonder if the doc has made a mistake , she did say that I would have to wind myself off them at first,  then looked on her computer and said just to stop them all together.
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY