Author Topic: Is sertraline addictive?  (Read 3745 times)

Sam1989

Is sertraline addictive?
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
Hi guys....

Ive been on sertraline for about 3 months now but I am so scared I will end up addicted to it? I dont think it is helping tbh and I am hoping to get put on a higher dose as at the minute I am only on 50mg....I don't know a lot about antidepressants but from what Ive heard and read they can be addictive?? or coming off them can have really bad side effects? I suffered with side effects when first taking them but they have settled down now and I have no issues with them, but I fear if i stop taking them I will get panick attacks again.....I know i am not ready to stop taking them but I am a bit confused to why i am worried if they are addictive when I dont feel like they are working?

hmmmm confusing I know!!

CoryCM

Re: Is sertraline addictive?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:58 PM »
Anti-depressants are not physically addictive, no.  So there's no issue with you needing them, however, stopping them suddenly can cause withdrawl effects which are not too pleasant.  It is recommended to keep taking anti-depressants six months to a year once you begin to feel 'well'.  Each person's recovery is individual to them and what you identify as being you when 'well' can be entirely different to another person.

When I first became unwell I was very reluctant to take medication as I thought I "could do it on my own."  There was some truth in that and life was turning to some of sort of normality with good living and good eating.  But then there more stressors in the equation and after an admission to hospital it was decided I should try medication.  I tried loads of different before setting on one.  Which unfortunately has run its course recently - so I've just started a new one.

They can take 6 weeks to get in to your system so should be working now.  If I was you I would possibly speak with your GP about changing them to another.  One with an anxiolytic effect.