Author Topic: 'Smiting'  (Read 1675 times)

Munchroom

• Karma Group
'Smiting'
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:41:03 PM »
This probably seems a bit out of place - and please forgive me if I upset anyone with this post. But that Applaud/Smite thing under our username... what the hell is all that about??  :-\  Yes... ok, I freely admit that I only bring this up nw that I realise I have a 'smite', in all honestly I've never really paid much attention to mine or anyone elses before... I don't know how long it has been there. But looking at other peoples - Lol's and Zafs in particular, how have they hell they got 'smites'?? Come on people, this is a forum where we are all meant to be helping each other and encouraging each other - not clicking a buttom to set off a vulnerable persons mind into wondering what they have said to upset someone, who they have upset... etc.

I realise that the person who has smited myself and two of the most helpful people on this forum may not even be someone who posts. But if it is please please if you have to air your grievences with something someones said on this forum - I would personally ask that you tell me straight, instead of giving my mind more questions to mull over and ask myself about a place I have come to think of as almost like a sanctuary  :-[

*Waits for 'smite' counter to sky-rocket*  ::)
This too shall pass.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: 'Smiting'
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
I have to admit I wondered about that too and when I first realised I had a smite it worried me a lot that I might have upset someone, it still does niggle me a tiny bit but mostly I manage to put it out of my mind thank goodness.
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Befuddled

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »
I wouldn't let it worry you, people disagree with one another and like to take a swipe sometimes.
Is it a feature you can remove? It's a very old term, something my Dad used to threaten me with when I was a kid!

I've picked up one and got nothing to balance it off with, at least you have!

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
Looks like yours is balanced now Befuddled  ;) x
This too shall pass.

Befuddled

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »

angel3077

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:01 PM »
NO SMITING LOVE AND APPLAUDS PEOPLE

Depina

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
NO to smiting, wouldn't do it, people on here are vunerable enough. :o

Alstare1974

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »
Well be applauded about four people in last two days just for fun

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:02:39 PM »
Well be applauded about four people in last two days just for fun

Surely thats better than 'smiting'?  :)

Personally, as nice as it is to see applauds, they are taken with a pinch of salt - as with the smites, you can see who gave them or why so it all seems a bit pointless in all honesty. I know I've may helped people by actually taking to them and seeing that I may be actually helping, not by some anonymous button click. But then that works both ways - smiting only proves that you have upset someone. Which is not nice and isn't fair when we are all supposed to be on an 'non-judgemental' forum - and as Depina points out, we are all vulnerable enough. On a bad day, seeing someone has 'smited' you might just be the final straw for some of us.
This too shall pass.

Lol

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:02:41 PM »
I think it is obvious when some one has desserved a smite and when some one has smited some one like a 2 year old stamping their feet, although I believe that if some one has said something derogatory about the site or its members it should be explained to them rather than using this tool as it is a negative and permanent mark which is a shame and as you say could be quite damaging.

If you look back on your posts, there is nothing to be smited about, however some people have posts which may reflect a less friendly side.

I'm sure the moderators can and will monitor the situation as any negative influence in here can have very damaging consequences.

Tinkerbell

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
I have just read this about 3 times before I knew what it was all about  >:D So I gather a smite is when you're are not helpful? People click on that? Why would anyone do that?  >:( Is there any way in not finding out how we know who is doing this?

(((hugs)))

Tink.xxx

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »
Yeah... thats pretty much it Tinkerbell, does seem pretty pointless, cowardly and hurtful doesn't it?

I don't think there is any way of finding out who is doing it unfortunatley... Would be good if the feature was removed altogether, I don't see how it can be helpful to anyone.

I'll get off my soapbox now  :-X  ::)
This too shall pass.

Karian

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 02:38:54 AM »
I have never smited anyone it is petty and not helpful to anyone,
I am one of those people if I dont agree with something if I feel good I will voice my objection
but if I feel low I would just not post anything.

maybe it is my nature always trying to see the best in people but is it maybe the case that people have accidentally hit the wrong word?

angel3077

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
I just noticed I have got a minus 1 beside my name does that mean someone has smited me? and WHY? come on own up.

Alstare1974

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
Lol someone has smited me. That's amusing.