Author Topic: "I don't want to be dependent on antidepressants"... anyone say this?  (Read 1912 times)

Catbrian

Re: "I don't want to be dependent on antidepressants"... anyone say this?
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
Nothing wrong with being on meds for life, but I prefer to think of myself as coming off them sometime in the distant future, no rush.... when my life improves and the days feel attractive rather than just bearable, that's when I'll readjust my life around being meds free

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »
I have been told I will probably need a maintenance dose for life, but I would rather that than be as I was.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Wallow

• Karma Group
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »
People keep mentioning depressive "mindset." Something i really struggle with is what depression actually is. If it'a low mood i can accept it but how can a mindset & negative thinking be an illness. I guess i cant see an alternative to blaming myself for my depression because it's just my personality. It's not depression, it's me.
"We are all sentanced to a life of solitary confinement inside our own skins, forever."

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:39 AM »

Wallow,

sometimes the environmental surroundings of a childs unbringing, which may or may not be combined with other factors such as genetic predispositions or certain life events, can facilitate the development of a mind which almost automatically turns to depressive  perspectives. The glass is always seems to be half empty. Many parts of your psychology and thinking are influenced by your environment, we are all like this and you would be highly abnormal if you wasn't. So I do
not believe blaming yourself for negative thoughts is an accurate perception of reality, but it is an obvious perception arising from the depressed mind.

I was raised by a mother who is perpetually pessimistic. She almost always sees the negative view of everything. I learned, indirectly and directly from my mother to think this way. ''I would never get a good job, I would never have any money, good things don't happen to me, only to others, I lack the skills that others have, I will fail at the things I try, etc etc'' It was pointed out to me that I had this negative mindset by a friend at university, I had never even realised that there was a problem with the way that I thought, I hadn't yet learned that perceptions are not always realistic.

I now work in academia, because of my studies in science I often think about things in a way that I never used to and in a way that most people do not. My thinking about the natural world changed with the experience of learning, the environments it has exposed me to, and the career challenges I have had to overcome. My system of thinking is constantly evolving as I learn to adapt as efficiently as possible to the world in which I wan't to live.

We all have ingrained ways of thinking and sometimes these thinking patterns are maladaptive, such as when we constantly see the negative side of things. But this is not   your fault in any way. Its just the way you have developed due to your environment and due to your neurochemistry. You can adapt and change just like we all can, as this is the nature of psychology. You are already thinking about the nature of depression and what it is, so you are already in the process of trying to overcome this problem. This shows a willingness to challenge your negative thoughts, and so you should be praised rather than condemned.

With the help of CBT you can learn to challenge your automatic negative thoughts and contemplate the more positive aspects of lifes events. I do this every day and the more I do it the easier it gets. I hope I never stop doing it.

I do not know your medical condition, but for me I also have clinical depressions that occur due to an illness that effects how my brain is functioning. You may have a clinical condition severe enough to be diagnosed with major depression, it is definatly an illness. Alternatively, you may be going through a difficult time in your life and your brain isn't releasing the chemicals how it usually does when you feel happier. Perhaps you have dysthymia, which is a less severe form of depresion but still bad enough to be considered a clinical problem.

The bottom line is, if you are experiencing mental pain, depression or anxiety for an extended period of time, ranging from weeks to years or even most of your life, you are suffering from mental illness.

CBT could help your negative thinking pattern, medication may also be an option.

I have depression, I thought I was a week feeble looser, now I am proud for living with a condition which I did not ask for and I hope soon you will be proud to have experienced the kind of mental pain that most of us do at some point in our lives.

Steve

Martin

• Karma Group
  • I'm a little bit lost, I think.
    • Martin Koss
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »
Stevie that is a wonderful post and I thank you for taking the time to write it and explain your views and experiences.
Martin
Martin :: Otherwise a really nice and decent bloke. Once we are friends I open up more. Be patient with me. Thank you.
I'm shy about who I am but if you'd like to know, send me a private message.

Catbrian

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
That was explained very well, Steve

Wallow

• Karma Group
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »
Thanks Steve for taking the time to write such a thoughtful post. At the moment i keep freaking myself out because i am all too aware that "reality" just doesnt exist & all events and experiences are totally subjective. The past (recent & distant) keeps changing for me as i ruminate myself into deeper & darker places. The only truth i feel i can rely upon is my core belief that i am a vile and worthless person. This is my guiding principle & everything else has just melted into a confusing mess. But who is to say that i am ill & not just open to seeing the truth about the world - which is that life is ultimately pointless & full of pain & suffering. Most religions are actually ways to cope with the "human condition" of suffering (christian idea of original sin) it just so happens that my version is more "realistic" because it recognises that the salvation part is utter bollocks (sorry dont mean to offend anyone - if religion works for you then great, i just think it's a social construct to replace actual futility with a fairytale ending.)
"We are all sentanced to a life of solitary confinement inside our own skins, forever."

Catbrian

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
This - your pain and suffering and, if I may say so, your warped perception - is reality.  Surely that can't be subjective if experienced/thought by a number of like-minded people.

To have this thinking, coupled with a belief that you are vile and worthless, is a clear indication that you are currently suffering major depressive thoughts and it is no wonder everything melts into a confusing mess, if this is your "guiding principle"

I can't quite remember why you're reducing Venlafaxine; are you about to try a new med?  It wouldn't do any harm trying to get yourself some therapy to explore your thoughts and possibly consider what medication may be of help.  Please believe me, once you are suited to a particular antidepressant, this thought process will start to alter.

Hope you're having a good day

Wallow

• Karma Group
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Thanks catb. I was taking myself off venlafaxine but cant quite remember why now. I think I wanted to proove that I wasnt depressed & the antidepressants werent working because it's ME that is the problem. Having a really rubbish weak though & i'd take anything even if there was only a slim chance it would make me feel better. Have spoken to my psychiatrist & i'm back on the usual dose as from today. I just feel too tired to think today. Hope you are having a good day.

Martin

• Karma Group
  • I'm a little bit lost, I think.
    • Martin Koss
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
I think I wanted to proove that I wasnt depressed & the antidepressants werent working because it's ME that is the problem.
We'd all like to think WE are broken in some way and we can fix it but it is something deeper and more complex than something 'broken'.
YOU are not the problem.
Something inside isn't doing what it should be doing - maintaining balance of stimulants and reactions the brain should be looking after for us - if chemicals were being created and circulated correctly. WE are as NORMAL as the next person - we just have a few things that aren't the same as other people. WE are NOT broken.
Martin :: Otherwise a really nice and decent bloke. Once we are friends I open up more. Be patient with me. Thank you.
I'm shy about who I am but if you'd like to know, send me a private message.

Wallow

• Karma Group
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
Thanks for your post but i just cannot see things this way. I just feel like i have failed AGAIN in my attempts to be proactive & come off the drugs & I feel stupid & embarressed about it.    "£"

Catbrian

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »
By returning to the same dose of AD is being proactive, wallow.  The general negative thinking you've been displaying of late, has obviously come from reducing the Venlafaxine..... and that is why I questioned you about it.

When we are up to our necks in depression, seldom is there progress.  However, often, with the help of AD's, we can start to piece our life and thinking back together again.  That is being proactive

There's nothing for you to feel stupid and embarrassed about.  All of us have followed the same path.

Hopefully you're feeling a bit better.