Author Topic: 18yr Sister with Psychotic Depression  (Read 691 times)

Emeki

18yr Sister with Psychotic Depression
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »
  For several months my 18 year old sister has been struggling with psychotic depression, she's been in and out of hospital many times either due to feeling insecure in her surroundings, she's self-harmed or because she's having suicidal thoughts. She has Type 1 diabetes so receives injections several times a day, and she has tried to overdose on insulin several times.

She hears banging and sees a man with skin falling off of his face telling her to kill herself.

She claims she has no friends, nothing to live for, no goal and nothing she wants to do. She's become even more introverted than she has been in the past, our family, as a rule, are loners.

She's had to drop out of Sixth Form as the stress was getting too much for her and she simply wasn't enjoying it. After several discussions she still doesn't know what to do, whether to go back to school, go to college (she applied but ended up getting rejected last month) and she has no motivation to work.

She's been advised to get a dog by her therapist and doctor though the rest of our family agree that she wouldn't be committed enough to care for something as time-consuming as a dog since she can't even handle her own hygiene and physical health.

She spends her days sat in front of the television and, though she used to be scared to go outside, would occasionally drive to the nearby cliffs and consider jumping off.

If possible, I'd like ideas on how to get her motivated, ways to develop social interaction, things to get her out of the house as well as anything I can do to support her.

If I can provide additional information I will, though the amount of things she tells me is extremely limited.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:08:15 AM by Emeki »

whiteadder

• Karma Group
Re: 18yr Sister with Psychositic Depression
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 11:13:32 PM »
I'm not knowledgeable enough to gove you a comprehensive answer but from personal experience as someone who has depression...

Just make sure she knows you're there for her. She may reject your company but don't take that as rejection of you. If you suggest a walk in the park and she says no, let her know the offer is always there so she can think about it.

Many people on here will be further down the line with therapies etc than me so hopefuly you get some better answers than that. Good luck.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: 18yr Sister with Psychositic Depression
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
I agree with what whiteadder has already said, just letting her know your are there for her, but don't pressure her.

Another thing I would suggest is MIND.  They are a very good organisation and have helped me with courses and counselling.  They offer many services for people suffering with mental health problems, not just the things I have mentioned that I used.  Some have coffee shops and drop in centres etc.  If you put MIND in your search engine you will be able to find your local centre.

I agree that a dog is a big commitment and needs alot of care.  Do you know of anyone that has a dog that maybe she could walk with either the owner or a member of your family?

I am sure others will be along with other ideas to help your sister.

Welcome to the forum and we will help and advise where we can.

Take care

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: 18yr Sister with Psychotic Depression
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »
I would agree with both the above posts - she should only get a dog if there is someone around that can check she is looking after one properly too, it wouldnt be fair on the dog

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Emeki

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 08:27:22 PM »
Thank you for your replies, I'm grateful for any response.

We've looked into volunteering at the local Dog's Trust though she seems adamant about joining something or doing anything constructive.

I know of only one family member with a dog however she dislikes everyone but her immediate family so I can't see that being an option.

I will look into MIND and see if it would be something to consider.

Unfortunately, my sister is currently in A&E after over-dosing on paracetamol and a used knife was found in her bedroom a couple of hours ago.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about your sister, I hope things work out

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
So sorry to hear about your sister.  I do hope she is going to be ok.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
Hope your sister gets through this