Author Topic: Venlafaxine 225mg - Trazodone 100mg  (Read 7432 times)

Leo

• Karma Group
Venlafaxine 225mg - Trazodone 100mg
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:42:49 PM »
Has anyone done this cross over? I started on Xmas day and my mood hit the look by Boxing Day night.
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: Venlafaxine 225mg - Trazodone 100mg
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:57:11 PM »
No sorry. Xxx

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
I thought it might be useful to actually let others know what this cross over is like.

In short....living hell? Even the CPN I spoke to tonight stated Venlafaxine is a terrible drug to get off of.
Unfortunately it didn't improve my mood but had helped with my anxiety, hence why I have need to change tablets.

On a week of 75mg now. It's really tough. Suicidal thoughts plague my mind more frequently. It's getting fewer days between my 'mental blips' and there are no apparent triggers.
I think it's safe to safe I'm fairly paranoid about what people think of me or that they think I'm being a drama queen.
I suffer more fleeting headaches, blurred vision, vertigo, upset stomach and anxiety. The latest has been uncontrollable crying. After sleeping fairly well without sleeping tablets for over 10 days I have resorted back to sleeping tablets the last few days, with complete insomnia last night.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:57:23 AM by Leo »

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:59:12 AM »
Other than the above I suffered very little symptoms other than mood change.
A weeks work of stomach problems. I feel this has been relatively mild compared to some stories you read - then again I wonder if it suggests it hasn't been doing much for me.

Catbrian

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
Hi Leo

As you know, I aint been around much.   Just catching up and wondering how you're doing.  Are you coming off Venlafaxine?  IMO health professionals expect us to come off these AD's to quickly.  They follow the Pharmaceutical advice that's probably playing down just how problematic withdrawal can be.

I'm obviously wondering why you're coming off and what, if anything, you're using in its place.

While you're going through this, it's perfectly acceptable to use sleeping pills.  You can worry about coming off them in the future.... best to take one step at a time.

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
Hi Cat.

After a psychiatric assessment, the Dr decided Venlafaxine wasn't working for me. As I have trouble sleeping he gave me a choice of medications. One was to keep on Venlafaxine 225mg and add in Mirtazapine. However, Mirtazapine can cause increased appetite and weight gain.
The other choice was Trazadone, starting at 100mg. The side effects of this were it should make me sleepy and can cause dizziness. Venlafaxine and Trazadone together can cause seratonin syndrome.

I weaned onto 150mg for a week, them 75mg for a week, then onto Trazadone. Although, after my GP saw the mess I was in one day, told me to start it early, failing that she was contemplating putting me in hospital.

I made the mistake of continuing Zolpidem when I first started on Trazadone, which left me ill. I couldn't get out of bed as I was so dizzy, woke with vivid nightmares and was drenched in sweat. However, if I need to lose a day, 1 sleeping pill will allow me to do that, rather than 5 +

So, a week on Trazodone. I still go a few nights a week with no sleep. It doesn't make me tired enough to sleep to be honest. It is still early days and there is room to adjust the dose.

Give credit to Venlafaxine for one thing. It helped massively with anxiety.
I'm popping diazepam to get me through most days, I'm really irritable. I get severe cases of anxiety and will develop physical shakes.

Catbrian

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
You poor soul, Leo.  I can totally understand what you're going through.  These Psychiatrists seem to put us through it sometimes.  I usually always insist on coming off at my own pace, which usually takes months.  However, the last time, I came off about 6yrs of Citalopram in about 2wks, I think.  I'll never forget how bad it made me feel, at times my brain felt inside out and, due a previous addiction on Diazepam, they wouldn't prescribe them.

Mirtazapine does cause increase in appetite and weight, I'm proof of that!  I imagine it's effectiveness with helping you sleep wears off in time.  I'm not quite sure what Trazadone is?

Are there any plans for starting a new AD once the Venla is out your system?  I have heard they are one of the most difficult to come off

I hope things start to feel easier soon, Leo

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 02:57:01 AM »
Trazodone is my new AD. http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Trazodone.htm
I had never heard of it before. Not sure it's commonly used though. This will be my third AD.

It was terrible coming off. Took a small OD of sleeping pills during it, just to escape my head. I basically had melted down at my GP. Told her I had plans, a means and a date of suicide. I had re ordered my sleeping pills until i found enough sense to see the GP. She actually phoned me at home that day.

I know it will take time to get the Trazodone into my system. I am allowing as suggested on websites. 2 weeks before I ask to increase. I can't keep going on with the anxiety.

Wallow

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
Just seen your post here, which explains why you are feeling so rubbish today. I am on 225mg venlafaxine & 45mg mirtazapine. I've only been on it since september but have not had any weight gain & it definately helps with my sleep. It makes everything sooooo much worse if you dont have sleep - I really feel for you.
"We are all sentanced to a life of solitary confinement inside our own skins, forever."

broken_record

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:54 PM »
venlafaxine is evil and, as far as i'm concerned, should not be prescribed to anyone. i know so many people (me included) that got no benefit from it but ended up more ill trying to come off it even withj the aid of a full dose of another medication. it does get better though but it takes a few weeks

Catbrian

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if any of them are worth it, other times I think I've gone too farm in depending on meds.  I'm on Quetiapine and Mirtazapine, but would prefer not to be on the Quetiapine.

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »
I wonder I have had two really hyper episodes on Trazodone. Been on it just over a week.

Had two days where I'm cracking jokes, laughing, feel really giddy and hyper. My sex drive goes through the roof compared to normal. Feel like a kid on smarties - a sugar high lol.
Or a really happy drunk? It's the only way I can describe it. Feel like I want to jump about and go nuts.

Not sure what's going on here. I'd take hyper any day though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:44:24 PM by Leo »

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »
hyper on Trazodone.... thats a pluss side (i think) though i never get hyper and i take 150 mg
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 01:40:50 AM »
Bar two days I'm incredibly irritable, I lose the rag at the slightest thing.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:26 AM »
I wonder I have had two really hyper episodes on Trazodone. Been on it just over a week.

Had two days where I'm cracking jokes, laughing, feel really giddy and hyper. My sex drive goes through the roof compared to normal. Feel like a kid on smarties - a sugar high lol.
Or a really happy drunk? It's the only way I can describe it. Feel like I want to jump about and go nuts.

Not sure what's going on here. I'd take hyper any day though.

You need to report this to your doctor because you may have bipolar disorder. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if you do, it would mean that the doctors can more accurately prescribe medication and you will get better quicker.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:05:07 AM by Stevie »