Author Topic: Mood stabilisers - what are they like?  (Read 3724 times)

whiteadder

• Karma Group
Mood stabilisers - what are they like?
« on: June 11, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
I think it's likely I'll be put on some sort of mood stabiliser. I think my GP wants to wait til I've seen the psychiatrist. Anyway, I've been on various anti-depressants before but never mood stabilisers. What does it feel like on something like lithium? Do people find mood stabilisers helpful?

:) x :(

;)
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Buttercup

• Banned
Re: Mood stabilisers - what are they like?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Hi

I am Bipolar.  My GP told me that this was what she thought but it had to be confirmed by a psychiatrist.  I was lucky in that my GP phoned for an appointment there and then and I saw the psychiatrist 2 days later, this was 4 months ago, so I'm quite new to this although I've battled for years.

As far as mood stabilisers go, I don't take Lithium instead I take Lamotrigine.  This is partly as it has fewer side effects and partly that I get mixed episode and also dysphoric highs rather than the typical euphoric ones. 

Lamotrigine has a very slow titration rate due to the risk of developing a life threatening rash, I only got to 200mg about 1 month ago and I think that this will be increased further at some point.  I do find it very beneficial, yes I'm not right yet but I am an awful lot better than I was.

Side effect wise, I've had none, unlike anti depressants, when I briefly took them, that made me feel awful.

I can't take anti d's they tend to flip me into a manic state.

Anyway good luck.

whiteadder

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Thanks Buttercup x

First time I've come across the term dysphoric but I think that might explain some of my manic but angry, frustrated, anxious times. Also, re the mixed thing, I seem to swing from one extreme to the other within a day - not sure if that counts as mixed or rapid cycling.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
Mood stabilisers don't really exist, it is more the case that there are drugs available with mood stabilising properties. They include some atypical anti psychotics, anti-epileptics and the more famous lithium. They are all different drugs with different effects and it may take you a while to find one that is suitable.

If you are rapid cycling lithium isn't the best choice.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:12:42 PM by Stevie »

mamalou

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »
Whiteadder,

I take Lithium as a mood stabiliser and I also take Quetiapine as an atypical antipsychotic also as another mood stabiliser combination with maximum dose Venlafaxine.

Sadly for me, I am "treatment resistant" so I don't have a huge effect from any of my meds. I would say that Lithium helps in a small way at keeping my paranoia at a manageable level, and that the Quetiapine assists with my terrible sleep. I cannot say that any of my meds stabilise my mood as I have been in a crisis situation on and off for a year now.

Sorry not a hugely positive post  :'(

whiteadder

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
Thanks guys, it helps to get a feel for the 'market' before I get in to a conversation with a doctor :)

Catbrian

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:48 PM »
Whiteadder. Just a few days ago I wrote about my experience on the mood stabilizer, Quetiapine, under the medication section.    I tried anti - D's for 20yrs. Nothing could've prepared me for the powerful mind altering effect of Quetiapine.  In the first few days it feels like you are taking a horse tranquiliser, but your tolerance builds very quickly.  
I find it to be a big motivator; suddenly I am getting through things I was forever putting aside.  It has, however, kept me off my sleep.  It helps my paranoia a little and almost immediately stopped my manic episodes and 'the voices' I experience.  My suicidal obsessions also began to diminish somewhat.
However, all that said, after 7wks, the depression's creeping back in. My paranoia has returned and it definitely hasn't helped with my agoraphobia issues.  I imagine this is probably down to dosage.  I am waiting for a review with my psychiatrist.
My only issue might be regarding coming off it....what condition the mind might be in after prolonged use and would it lead onto a lifetime of a dependence on powerful anti-psychotic medication.  If it's a toss-up between the depth of depression or being constantly under the influence of a drug, I'd choose the drug any day.  
Hope this helps you consider your options. Of course each drug will effect individuals differently

whiteadder

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
Thanks Cat, interesting to hear how dramatic the effect was :) I wish my phsyc appointment was sooner as I want to get started on whatever treatmentthe decide upon.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
I also found quetiapine to be immensely powerful and it knocked me for six. Many people don't have this response.

Steve

Catbrian

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:37:10 AM »
I was the same whiteadder. Took me ages to get on it due to slow appointments with a rubbish Psychiatrist (changed him now).