Author Topic: Mirtazapine side effects?  (Read 4137 times)

FreyaD

• Karma Group
Mirtazapine side effects?
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
Hi all,

I've been on Mirtazapine since about Feb 12 but recently I've been having shooting pains in my head, not a headache, but like pins being stabbed in my head (usually in the evenings or after driving long distances) and after about 8pm I lose most co-ordination and it feels like I'm drunk. I have trouble walking and would quite possibly fall over, but there luckily always seems to be a wall! Does anyone have side effects like these? They aren't listed as side effects so i was wondering if it might be something else?

My muscles have also become very twitchy recently, but that is listed as a possible side effect.

Thanks,
Freya

KateG

• Karma Group
Re: Mirtazapine side effects?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Hi Freya

I had twitchy legs with it too, and I felt drunk most of the time. I'd ask your GP about the shooting pains though, that's not good

Kate x

willows

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
Hi Freya

I have been on mirtazapine for 7 weeks now and I take mine any time between 10pm and midnight because I work shifts and I can't take it until I get home because within 1/2 an hour of taking it I to loose my co-ordination and, as you say, feel like I am drunk. Not had any shootings pains though. Might be worth checking it out with your GP.

Willows

FreyaD

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
Thank you :)
I lose my co ordination before I have taken my medication and I only take it just before I'm going to bed. I think it's just tiredness taking over my body. Not sure if the shooting pains are also tired related
Freya

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
Muscle problems in legs have been reported in patients on high dosages.

mamalou

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
I tried Mirtazapine twice in the last year and I couldn't tolerate it at all. Made me really dizzy and sicky.

jester

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
Hi all,
      Ive been on a coctail including Mirtazipine for around three years now, in varying doses and quantities. I have experienced all the side affects mentioned, but the worst by far it the twitchy restless legs and insomnia. The only thing I have found that helps is to excercise the legs untill their tired, before taking the drug. This does not eliminate the symptoms but in my case does make it bearable enough to get through the night.

Hope this helps somebody.

Please dont try excercising after taking Mirt. I tried this. The result wasnt very pretty.   
There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.

Maddymoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »
Oh god, I've just been given this by the doc. He didn't mention side effects and it came in a blank box with no leaflet. I hope I dont get those effects!

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 07:19:58 PM »
Hopefully you wont maddy, we all react differently to meds.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much as my doctor says, if you read the side effects you wouldn't take anything and if common everyday things came with a list of side effects you wouldn't eat/drink them either.

think what they could write for milk or tea (caffeine can cause insomnia)

xxx

Maddymoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
I'm going to take it just before bed just in case x

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
Good idea maddy  :).

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
Mirtazipine is more likely to make you sleep than give you insomnia, for this reason it should be taken before bedtime. It can cause you to grow horns like an elk so be careful.

Steve X